Horizontal Screen Tearing w/ 7870 HAWK

06guitarist

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hello,
I'm looking for all the help I can get regarding horizontal screen tearing in games. This problem has appeared in all the pc games I have played so far. In some games I can resolve the issue by enabling vsync but in others it seems not matter what I do the problem persists.

For example, in STALKER Call of Pripyat I get horizontal screen tearing if I look around too fast or start sprinting. I have enabled the in-game vsync, enabled the built in 60hz refresh rate option, and even tried forcing vsync along with triple buffering in Catalyst Control Center but the tearing still occurs. The game looks amazing my card can play it on high settings with no lag whatsoever I just need the tearing to stop! I have already checked the temp on the gpu and it never goes above 60 degrees celcius on full load so I know it's not getting too hot. The gpu is by no means a slouch lol. My drivers are also all up to date with no old ones on the computer. If anyone can please help with a solution to this problem it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

If it helps here are my pc specs:

CPU: Intel I5 2400@3.1Ghz (3.4Ghz turbo boost)
MoBo: MSI Z77A-GD65
GPU: MSI R7870 HAWK
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3
PSU: Corsair TX650M
Monitor: LG E2242T 22" 1080p LED 75Hz max refresh rate

06guitarist

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Could the card be the issue if I'm able to resolve the screen tearing in other games?

06guitarist

Honorable
May 29, 2012

I will try that. STALKER may be screen tearing because FRAPS is reporting an average of 90-100 fps. But I have vsync and 60hz refresh rate enabled in game so I don't know but I will try what you said.

06guitarist

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Ok I turned down the refresh rate to 60hz and it's still happening with vsync on. One thing I did try and it worked was disabling full screen mode. There was no screen tearing at all but I really don't want to play in a window. Do you maybe have any other suggestions? The help is really appreciated.

rdc85

Honorable
Hmm, i was hopping it would works.....

can't think anything right now.
It sound like the v-sync not working in that game..

but there is new amd CAP and driver (beta) out there 12.9 cap 1 and 12.9 beta...if u haven't tried that

06guitarist

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Yes I installed the LG drivers it's being detected properly and it still happens. At first I thought maybe STALKER's vsync just wasn't working but I can't get the tearing to stop in The Witcher either, even when forcing vsync.

Freeman890

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Just use DVI cable instead of VGA.

TRENDING THREADS