Horizontal waves in game and during full screen videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
This has never really bothered me as I always thought it was happening because of the game itself and not because of a piece of hardware but now that I have seen the lines during full screened videos im starting to get a little worried. During games such as Starcraft 2 and Team Fortress 2 I will get a ton of horizontal ripples on the screen. They are not affecting the game in anyway but in darker areas they are quite visible. I have noticed that in Team Fortress 2 enabling v-sync does remove the lines, but when I tried enabling it in Starcraft 2 it looked like there was still a line or two on the screen. While watching full screened videos I also notice that if it cuts to a scene where the background is grey, a few ripples/lines will pop up there as well. Although, While playing League of Legends in windowed the lines appear, but when I switch to full screen they disappear. I am really confused as to what is causing this and was hoping someone on these forums could help. Thanks in advance.

GPU: EVGA GTX 460 SSC edition
CPU: Intel quad 2 core Q9550
Mobo: XFX nForce 750i
PSU: 700-750 Watts not entirely sure
Monitor: Pretty sure its 22-inches

Edit: Forgot to add if its full screened and the screen is black it appears as though the lines disappear. Also, if i am watching a video and it is not in full screen mode, I cannot see any lines.

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
I have actually solved the problem by switching the VGA cord to an HDMI cord. I have now come across a different problem though. My monitor is supposedly capable of a 1920x1080 resolution but with this new hdmi cord, all the edges are stretched off the screen. When I go to resize it, it bumps the resolution down and makes everything blurry.

Edit: Found the monitor im currently using and experiencing these issues with. http://www.i-inc-usa.com/Product/iF251HPB.htm

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I get this in a few fast moving games as well. I have always linked this to AA and AF in a lot of my reading, so maybe play with that a bit (turning them up should help, since it looks like you have enough power)... I see it mostly in the menus of DIRT2, as it's all rendered as in-game play, but the racing is all fine.
I run DVI in DX9 and DX10 to my 1080p monitor at 60hz and still experience this at times when moving quickly, though my GPU is ailing a bit after a couple years of stress, so it could be a lack of power still.

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
doh, didn't read carefully... jumped on a bit too tired tonight. Well to try to help again, Nvidia's control panel should fix it, under Display>Adjust desktop size and position they have the manual scaling options. DVI to HDMI seems to act funny like that alot.

pilpod

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
try DVI cable?
if switching from a VGA to HDMI fixed ur previous display problem, it's either the VGA port or the cable, most likely the cable.

as for ur new problem, try auto-adjust button?
if u tried stretching with ur monitor's controls before, try it again with Nvidia's driver's control

Yes this actually fixed it, not the auto-adjust but my monitor was set on some other mode that was causing it too stretch off screen. The only problem now is I hear sort of a weird pop noise from the monitor when I start up but I am guessing it's one of the speakers so not really that big of an issue I dont think. Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread and helped me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.