Question Horizontal white lines on screen?

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hello all. I'm having an issue with my computer and I'm not sure if it is due to hardware or software. I'm now have white horizontal lines on the screen and I can't boot into windows.

After the Windows 10 boot/splash screen my monitor sits there cycling though HDMI and Analog looking for a signal. I think Windows just did an update not long ago, maybe a few days, but I just used the computer yesterday and it wasnt like this. I have a GeForce 480 graphics card, and it is about 8 years old. Thinking it is either a graphics driver issue, a graphics card issue, or a Windows issue.
I finally was able to get Win10 to start in Safe Mode but it is asking for a password and I don't ever remember putting a password on my computer other than a Pin# and that isn't working. I'm going to try and post a picture of what the screen looks like, but I'm on my phone and it might not work. If this is a card issue I might need suggestions for a new card that is around $200, since that is about all I can afford right now.

15527916479292503479423205067835.jpg

pentupanger

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Have you tried changing the cable or just switching to the integrated GPU to see if that solves the problem?... From that image, it is most likely a hardware failure which involves your current GPU.

The motherboard doesn't have an integrated GPU, and when I tried to use a DVI cord instead of the mini-HDMI cord I couldn't get anything to show on the monitor so I'm unsure if there is a option to change that, but since I can't get into Windows I can't have a look. The monitor cycles through inputs when it can't find one. So it goes through HDMI, Analog, and Digital until it finds one that is connected.
I'm not sure if this means anything, but the white lines are not there if I'm in my BIOS screen.
Also, I have tried booting into safe mode via a command prompt while using a Windows bootable USB and typing a command to bypass the password (bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safemode) but the command prompt error is acting like that isn't valid. I'm almost positive that I never set a password for Windows 10, and if I did I probably just left the password blank... but that's telling me it's incorrect too.

Well you'll need to test with another GPU, just to make sure.

Can you also post the specs of your PC(I'm mostly interested in the CPU and Motherboard model)?

If you had a pin when you were logging into windows this means that your microsoft account is linked to your OS... so the password should be (most likely) the same as your microsoft account.