HORRIBLE internet speed! 1-3 MBPS Paying $100 Month (Frontier Communications)

swagpies22

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
Thanks for checking this forum out, hopefully you can give me any suggestions on ideas of some sort.

So the internet speed at my house has been a big problem for the last 5+ years, really really REALLY, slow speeds...it's embarrassing. We are getting around 1-3 Mbps download and 1 Mbps upload. We are also paying an insane amount per month just for the dang internet speed of 1-3 Mbps.

It's really frustrating because I am really into gaming,streaming videos,and also uploading to Youtube. Iv'e wanted to stream online games but, how are you supposed to stream when you can't even watch one Youtube video on 480p and play a game without lag. When you have a big family and you can't run a facetime call, scroll Instagram and download something without it dropping the download is not acceptable.

What iv'e tried
1.We tried switching our providers but that never works....Iv'e called Verizon,AT&T,and Xfinity and none can provide internet on our old road.

2. Countless times we have called Frontier complaining about the internet, and they only say the same thing."We will have technicians have come to your house" just to change the router, say that we can't have multiple software's running, changing router settings, and we also had a technician himself say that we should ditch Frontier.

3. Called Frontier to change our plan...they said we had the highest speed plan available.

So in all it's obviously not my houses problem..it's Frontiers, do I need to get a certain number higher up in the business? Is there a way to get a different provider in my area (TBH I might pay $5,000 to get fiber optic on my road right now) We are living in Pennsylvania, it's 2018 and they can't even provide the normal cheaper speed of 50mbps.

Depending where you live, and how rural it may be, internet speeds are going to vary.
If you already have the best plan they offer (and its the correct speeds) then thats that.
You also said youve contacted other ISP, if they also do not offer anything better in your area there really isnt anything else to do.

You can try and convince them that your area deserves the infrastructure required for higher speeds, but that would require a large amount of debate, zoning, and census of the area.

Back home I deal with 500KB/s down for 60 a month, its all we got.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
What kind of internet connection is it, ADSL/VDSL/Cable/Fibre What?
Also are you connecting directly to the router or trying to use wifi ?

Sometimes if there's only a copper cable and it's too long then you are stuck with the low speeds unless you can find an ISP that will install something different as Gam3r01 suggests. A lot of times changing provider makes no difference because they use the same cable in the ground anyway, at least in my country that's the case I have no Idea about yours.

We have rural providers here in NZ that provide pretty decent internet over a wireless line of sight connection for rural & urban areas where the other options aren't viable, maybe you could look into that and see if something similar is offered.

swagpies22

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

The connection is DSL. We don't really live in the middle of nowhere, we live half a mile away from a road with fiber optic. We have called other ISP's and some said that we are locked out to getting the service on our road (Possibly maybe Frontier could be controlling the internet providers on our road?)

Nov 16, 2018
Do what I do use foxfi 2.19 tethering app from ur phone I have att@t I used to have sprint anyways it uses your phone internet to tether to your pc !I game do everything with it . I too have Frontier 1.5 dn .3 up with a big family also ! U want to use the 2.19 apk cause the 2.20 has no tethering
its a fix just for your use enjoy! Oh ya I forgot u have to buy the foxfi key for 7.99 for full access just wtch the utube and hell explain and on ur phone look up foxfi2.19 apk and download it on that

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/foxfi-software/foxfi-wifi-tether-wo-root/foxfi-wifi-tether-wo-root-2-19-release/foxfi-wifi-tether-wo-root-2-19-android-apk-download/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5mYMwgIKlI

You can check with your county if there is any agreement with the fiber optic provider. Where they have to run lines based on certain criteria. Each agreement is different, assuming there is one.

This worked for my father years ago. Comcast had an agreement with the county. If there were five houses on any half mile stretch of road. They had to run cable tv and internet lines. He went out and measured. Found there were five houses on his stretch of road. They had to run the lines.

You can also find out who the fiber optic provider is. Figure out the number of houses on your stretch of road. Then start pestering whichever department does the wiring. Perhaps get neighbors to sign a petition. Saying that they would be interested in high speed internet. If there is enough interest. They might run a line down your road.

swagpies22

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Okay I'll try this, thanks for the idea.

swagpies22

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017

Um no, but I think the whole road has the same problem.

This must be DSL, there is no cable? That kind of money for that speed... I would be looking to move.

HD 1080 wants ~6/10 mbit/user, UHD 4K wants ~60/100 mbit/user. Once u see High Definition, u never go back.