[SOLVED] Horrible ping but fine download speeds ?

Derpenboy

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
My ping has been consistently bad (~200 in games to my own servers) with high spikes up to 1000. However, my download and upload speeds are fine. I'm on ethernet as well.

Here are some screenshots

I've tried:
Reinstalling network driver
Restarting router
Restarting PC
Flushing DNS

Solution
The problem is in the connection to your house. Problem is the ISP generally will not be that interested in fixing high ping times. They do pretty good with packet loss but high ping times is generally related to overload and data being held in buffers.

First be very sure that you are not over utilizing your internet connection both upload and download speeds. I would test with just 1 machine on the network and check the network tab in the resource monitor to see your traffic rates so nothing is running you do not know about.

After this it gets tricky. Most ISP will not admit that they have oversold the network. So it could be a bunch of your neighbors using up all the bandwidth.

You have few options but to call them and...
You need to be more detailed in your testing. All you know is there is some problem between you and google.

Run tracert to some ip to get the routers in the path. You might get some clue from tracert but it does not run enough data to be sure.

You now want to run ping to various IP addresses in the trace. The most important will be the first one which is your router and the second which tends to be the connection between your house and the ISP.

You need to find the first hop that is causing those large spikes

Derpenboy

Reputable
Mar 9, 2017
You need to be more detailed in your testing. All you know is there is some problem between you and google.

Run tracert to some ip to get the routers in the path. You might get some clue from tracert but it does not run enough data to be sure.

You now want to run ping to various IP addresses in the trace. The most important will be the first one which is your router and the second which tends to be the connection between your house and the ISP.

You need to find the first hop that is causing those large spikes
I sent two screenshots there, one of them is tracert to 8.8.8.8. https://prnt.sc/zyf85v

The problem is in the connection to your house. Problem is the ISP generally will not be that interested in fixing high ping times. They do pretty good with packet loss but high ping times is generally related to overload and data being held in buffers.

First be very sure that you are not over utilizing your internet connection both upload and download speeds. I would test with just 1 machine on the network and check the network tab in the resource monitor to see your traffic rates so nothing is running you do not know about.

After this it gets tricky. Most ISP will not admit that they have oversold the network. So it could be a bunch of your neighbors using up all the bandwidth.

You have few options but to call them and hope they can find something. Most their tools are looking for data loss and not delays.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS