[SOLVED] Horrible Thermal Throttling

Mass Games

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019
When idle, my CPU and GPU are anywhere from 50-80 C (I don't have a lot of background processes either, it runs at around 2% CPU usage while idle)

When playing any game, it almost instantly shoots up to 90-100 C

I have a cooling pad running underneath it +one of those laptop coolers that suck the air out.
I have also tried underclocking my laptop quite a bit.

Does anybody know anything I can try or how to completely reset my GPU and CPU? Thanks :)
Any help at all, I'm appreciative.

1060 6GB Mobile
i7-7700HQ
RAM 16GB
Laptop Model: MSI GL62MVR 7RFX

EDIT: Fans running at full speed. Also when I first purchased my laptop I remember it running programs fine without temp problems.

Last edited:
Solution
Those cooling pads don't do ANYTHING for CPU or GPU temps. They can't. It's impossible for them to affect core temps. All they do is make the surface cooler on the laptop so it isn't uncomfortable for your hands. That's all.

Are the cooling fans IN the laptop even working? Are they, or it, running at high speed? If you can't hear it, then it isn't. And if it isn't, then it needs to be replaced and hopefully there hasn't already been permanent thermal damage but I wouldn't be too hopeful of that because laptop hardware doesn't take very long for permenent damage to happen when the cooling system fails.
Those cooling pads don't do ANYTHING for CPU or GPU temps. They can't. It's impossible for them to affect core temps. All they do is make the surface cooler on the laptop so it isn't uncomfortable for your hands. That's all.

Are the cooling fans IN the laptop even working? Are they, or it, running at high speed? If you can't hear it, then it isn't. And if it isn't, then it needs to be replaced and hopefully there hasn't already been permanent thermal damage but I wouldn't be too hopeful of that because laptop hardware doesn't take very long for permenent damage to happen when the cooling system fails.

Solution

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
Thermal pad? Those are junk... I did not read that....

No wonder, get some good thermal paste and replace it. Or complain to where you got it and demand a replacement if it is new... As something is wrong

I built my pc and at idle I run 17c average and running a stress test for 8 hours on prime 95 overclocked, I only get up to 50c.. It has integrated water cooling so that is why it is low

Last edited:

Mass Games

Prominent
Mar 29, 2019

My fans are constantly running at full speed, GPU and CPU

shadowxsx

Honorable
Aug 15, 2016
My fans are constantly running at full speed, GPU and CPU

Is it new or pre-used?

If new something is wrong and you should be able to replace it. if second hand best you can do is clean of all the gunk from the pads and replace it with a better thermal conductor

My video card was overheating after the warranty ran out, I took it apart and put some good thermal paste on it and the temps went way down. It had one of those pads on it too

Is it new or pre-used?

If new something is wrong and you should be able to replace it. if second hand best you can do is clean of all the gunk from the pads and replace it with a better thermal conductor

My video card was overheating after the warranty ran out, I took it apart and put some good thermal paste on it and the temps went way down. It had one of those pads on it too

That's not the kind of pad he's talking about. He's talking about one of the cooling pads with fans on it that go UNDER the laptop.

Replacing the thermal paste is often a good idea, but it's not for the faint of heart on most laptops. The average person is not capable of taking a laptop completely apart and putting it back together again without borking something up. If you can, that's great, but most people who are not highly mechanically inclined will probably want to take it to a professional.

Other than replacing the thermal paste, unless this unit has been apart before and something was not reassembled correctly, there isn't a lot you can do about thermals. This is exactly why laptops make very poor gaming devices. They simply do not hold up to the thermal demands of gaming hardware packed into a tight space with little in the way of cooling. You can't continuously run hardware that is 60% as capable as it's desktop version and use a cooler that is only 10% as capable as a desktop cooler and not expect something to have to give eventually.

I can't tell you how many laptops I've thrown away because they were simply too far damaged from thermal fatigue to do anything with them. Both mine, and customers.

TRENDING THREADS