Host multiple users remoting into virtual machines on Windows 7

D1erri

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I have a small business and we are looking at purchasing a new software. It is a host-client software that is not web-based. However, our employees are all remote.

I was researching using terminal services (RDS) and it got very complicated, very fast.

I know it isn't the best solution, but I was thinking about using a solid workstation to host 4-5 virtual machines and everyone just remote into each of them and have the client software installed/configured on there. The software uses minimal system resources.

So essentially I need: 1 physical machine that can support 4-5 VMs (likely 2-3 at the same time). I am okay with purchasing a copy of Win 7 Pro for the physical machine and each VM (keeping it legal here). Must also be secure.

Software: It sounds like I can use VMware Workstation Pro. First question, can multiple users remote into it at the same time? If not, what software would be recommended?

Hardware: Here's the machine I'm looking at:
HP Z420 with Intel Xeon E5-2690 (8 core, 2.9 ghz), 64GB RAM, 500GB HDD (for OS), 2x 1TB HDD (RAID 1), Quadro K600video card

Trying to keep this not too complex (preferring Windows 7 Pro over Windows Server 2012 R2) and as inexpensive as possible.

Solution

To setup virtual machines you need a server and extra Windows...

D1erri

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I'm new to the server world, so forgive my ignorance; however, the software provider said they do not support nor do they recommend using VPN...

I spoke with a tech who sets up this software for a living (unfortunately lives in another state and can't configure it for me) and he says he uses terminal services (RDS). I've been researching it and think it's beyond me, at least for right now, trying to get this into production by year end (while still having a full-time job).

I thought just running some VMs and then remoting into them isn't clean but would be a quick and easy way of getting it up, then look into doing it the right way over the summer of next year..

No worries.

Well, I don't support the software nor do I know what it is, but I don't see why a VPN wouldn't work. If the software is light on resources and as long as the VPN connection is stable, everything should work just fine. If you have to open ports to allow the software to connect remotely then you're compromising network security, so that's something to consider.

Creating VMs is perfectly fine, it just seems convoluted and includes a large expense that you don't need, unless you have the hardware and software ready to go of course.

To setup virtual machines you need a server and extra Windows licenses on top of that vs VPN which will just connect existing off-site computers to the internal network. The difference would be the virtual machines having access to this program locally and the remote access is just for the display. Either way, you will need to setup VPN to connect from off-site, one of those you also need to setup a sever for the virtual machines. But if the software vendor tells you that is what you need for support or proper use, you either configure virtual machines, run the software on VPN only and see how it works, or find another software to do the same thing. I don't know if you can use Windows 7 vs Server to host your virtual machines or not though.

Solution