Question Hot air not coming of mini itx case

Feb 16, 2019
Are you supposed to be able to feel hot air coming out of your pc when gaming? I'm using a Thermaltake Core V1 and I'm just using the 200mm fan that comes with it in the front?

chris78

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
CPU: i7 8700k @ 4.7ghz
Motherboard: MSI z370 gaming pro carbon
Ram: Corsair 2 X 8gb lpx ddr4 ram
SSD: boot Samsung 850 pro 512gb and 1tb Samsung 860 Evo
Gpu: MSI gtx 1080
Psu: evga G3 850watt
Chassis: Corsair x570 RGB

Feb 16, 2019
That depends, if you don't have heatware in that chassis, then no. :D
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Ryzen 2700
Asus b450 I mini itx
G skill trident z 16 gb 3200mhz (non rgb)
1 tb Samsung qvo ssd
Zotac 1080 founders
750 watt corsair tx750m 80+gold
Thermaltake core v1 mini itx
Windows 10
Only the ram has been overclocked to 3200 since it was set at 2133 out the box
Sorry for the late reply forgot I posted this 😅

The GTX1080 Founders exhausts it's heat through the expansion bracket. You shouldn't have any problem felling that if you put your hand up to the vents near the display outputs on the card while it's under load.

Aside from that, the Ryzen 2700 is really the only thing that's exhausting heat into the case, and it doesn't draw a terrible amount of power. About 100W max. However, as I said before, since the case is so perforated, that heat is being exhausted out of many different areas. If you had a forced exhaust (aka install the rear 80mm fans), you'd probably be able to feel a slight temp since they'd be attracting a fair amount of heat, and the other open vented areas wouldn't get quite so much heat blowing out of them. I don't think it's necessary to install the 80mm fan(s) though. The other factor is that you've got a lot of CFM into and out of the case. Imagine I've got 100 rubber ducks (Watts) and i float them down a small stream (low airflow). I can stand in the stream and catch quite a few of them (feel the heat on hand). If they're floating down a large river (mucho airflow), I probably won't catch many at all. Make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: theMoonGodHasRsn

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Sounds like you probably have inefficient airflow, as the previous poster said, put a 80mm fan in the back to push air out, your motherboard probably has a spare fan header (sys_fan 1 or 2) and if it doesn't you can split the header you have the 200mm plugged in to. I'm not saying you have insufficient, Im saying inefficient, the heat is probably just radiating around (and out) the case without being forced out.

Feb 16, 2019
The GTX1080 Founders exhausts it's heat through the expansion bracket. You shouldn't have any problem felling that if you put your hand up to the vents near the display outputs on the card while it's under load.

Aside from that, the Ryzen 2700 is really the only thing that's exhausting heat into the case, and it doesn't draw a terrible amount of power. About 100W max. However, as I said before, since the case is so perforated, that heat is being exhausted out of many different areas. If you had a forced exhaust (aka install the rear 80mm fans), you'd probably be able to feel a slight temp since they'd be attracting a fair amount of heat, and the other open vented areas wouldn't get quite so much heat blowing out of them. I don't think it's necessary to install the 80mm fan(s) though. The other factor is that you've got a lot of CFM into and out of the case. Imagine I've got 100 rubber ducks (Watts) and i float them down a small stream (low airflow). I can stand in the stream and catch quite a few of them (feel the heat on hand). If they're floating down a large river (mucho airflow), I probably won't catch many at all. Make sense?
Ah I see. I expected the cpu cooler (wraith spire led) to output more air but this makes sense. Thank you!