Hot Chips 2017: AMD Outlines Threadripper And EPYC's MCM Advantage, Claims 41% Cost Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel should learn that thermal paste should be applied on the CPU heatspreader, not between to chip and the heatspreader before trying to throw dirt at AMD...

Funny that now, EMIB, is the next big thing if we listen to Intel!

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
8ch mem vs 6ch for Skylake SP more than makes up for EPYC higher latency at larger block sizes.

EPYC bests Skylake in performance in most applications, and is cheaper, lower power, offers better security, more features and IO.

Out of all three: Ryzen, Theradripper, EPYC; its EPYC that outclasses Intel's offering the MOST.

Servers are the cash cow Intel was suppose to protect, but they didn't know Infinity Fabric was this good and this ready as was AMD's Zen core and ability to take advantage of MCM.

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017

They better hurry with that EMIB; they've been resting on node advantage continuing as we bump up against Moore's Law. Intel is banking on 10nm saving them from this AMD ass whipping. They are late to the new Moore's Law (parallel proc, MCM, Heterogeneous Architecture), like they are late to everything else ... except PC decades ago thanks only to IBM

Intel is doomed.

BonScott

Prominent
Mar 30, 2017
Is a commitment for $millions in AMD EPYC CPU sales to Chinese Cloud Providers a good thing? You will see on Monday.

Tencent cloud senior director Zou Xianneng said Tencent cloud will be launched by the end of the year based on AMD EPYC processor 2- way cloud server, up to provide up to 64 processing cores ( 128 threads), with super stand-alone computing The ability to provide the industry with more diverse cloud products and cloud services.

Baidu company president Zhang Yaqin said, equipped with AMD EPYC processor single slot server can significantly increase the Baidu data center computing efficiency, reduce total cost of ownership, reduce energy consumption. Baidu will be released with AMD EPYC listed on the deployment of synchronization.

Jingdong hardware system, said Wang Zhongping, head of technology, China's Internet, electricity companies need more computing core and higher memory bandwidth. AMD EPYC data report shows that up to 32 cores, comparable to the industry's common two-way server, 8- channel memory interface is conducive to achieving higher memory communication bandwidth, I believe these will be more close to the domestic Internet companies The demand. Jingdong will also work with AMD EPYC to optimize the total cost of ownership ( TCO ) of the server system , as well as future technical cooperation in the areas of large data, artificial intelligence, and cloud computing.

How ironic, I recall when the first AMD dual core CPU's came to the market and intel responded with pentium d, which was basically 2 pentium 4's glue together. They also did that with the first Core 2 quads, using C2D chips. but Intel swore back then that there was no performance penalty for doing it that way compared to true dual or quad cores...

JonDol

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
"Surprisingly, Barclays downgraded AMD's stock shortly thereafter."

Thanks for pointing out the technologically limited peoples at Barclays since their lack of vision and understanding results in bad use of their huge power as it may hurt not only the innovating companies but also their own clients.

Looks like the peoples having money at Barclays should have a talk with their asset manager.

Rob1C

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
SemiAccurate had this to say about Xeon Skylake CPUs: https://semiaccurate.com/2017/07/19/skylake-sp-diverged-core/ - accusing Intel of stitching together it's CPU.

Then a follow-up post was written: https://semiaccurate.com/2017/07/21/semiaccurate-skylake-sp-die-shots-sizes/ - unfortunately the second Article is short and reading all it requires a Subscription.

PS: Website Guru: When posting a Comment there is often a Popup that says: "The form is not valid".

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
It all depends on AMD making a profit. It is great that AMD can come up with a way to interpose two CPUs together and that it costs less but that is not the issue. The real problem is to get companies to buy into AMD's solutions. Yes Tencents and others are offering AMD solutions to companies willing to buy the products and services but AMD has been out of the big boys market in servers since 2012. AMD may have the lowest cost solution but it does the company no good unless it can make a PROFIT. AMD has lost a half a billion dollars in the past 5 years and is still losing money every quarter. When it gets out of this hole, then is the time to celebrate AMD's accomplishments in technology.

Chipzilla knew they were ewed-scrayed 2 years ago when they paid $17 billion for Altera, after dumping tens of billions of dollars over the years propping-up Atom. In a not-so-unrelated matter, 2015 was also the year SeaMicro was shuttered.

Turns out that AMD's decade-long 'Fusion' (and '3D-IC') was a kick night in their ruts ...

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
BONSCOTT said "its EPYC that outclasses Intel's offering the MOST."
"Intel is banking on 10nm saving them from this AMD ass whipping. They are late to the new Moore's Law (parallel proc, MCM, Heterogeneous Architecture), like they are late to everything else"

It does look that intels PC R&D has consisted of a committee which decides what they can let trickle down from existing server products for priced in incrementally improved models to maintain revenue, and.... lo, amd gazumped them at server level. Woops.

It may have released first as its simpler & maybe a less risky beta market (correct it seems given the now fixed compile bug would have been a worse look in servers), but ryzen was more an afterthought to epyc.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
It bears stressing folks, that the recent cloud tie up announcements are not ~letters of intent like oem deals, they are actual huge, ongoing sales. The cloud providers own the kit, and sublet it.

alextheblue

Distinguished
10% MCM (Infinity Fabric) overhead - that's even less than I expected. Zepplin is quite versatile. They've kicked off quite the CPU war across the a broad swath of the desktop and server markets, and soon the mobile market with Raven Ridge APUs. I look forward to future Zen design enhancements.

Johnny_38

Commendable
Aug 22, 2016
The should be a class action lawsuit against Barclays and Intel for people losing a lot of money on AMD stocks because of the lies they spread.

At least I know that this will come back and haunt them one day...

Jorge Nascimento

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Why compare I7 7700k to TR?
My 1600x @4.2 beats that I7 7700k clocked to or under 4.5 on all cores. 7800x @ 140tdp stock needs to be clocked to 4.7 to barely stay ahead of a 1600x @ 4.0. And the best part, it only costs 220 on Amazon and plus, a b350 that costs under 100 to oc the cpu. While Intel you need a z mobo.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

Yes folks, the amd 6 core is an astonishingly cheap powerhouse, and he bought the expensive version :)

His clocks are a little ambitious for most, but ~4000 cpu & 3200 for ram are easily doable by anybody sensible on Ryzen (and similar clocks on TR thankfully), and would be of similar power to the posters.

But yes, TR is another league to the I7. No comparison except price.

Jorge Nascimento

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Do you know the best part of it, with my 1600X I have 1.356V @ 4.2.on par with my FlareX 3200 OC to - DDR4-3466 “tuned” settings: tCL = 14, tRCDR/W = 14, tRP = 14, tRAS = 28, ProcODT = 60Ω, CR = 1T, GDM = Disabled, BGS = Disabled.

The last 1600 non X i assembled for a friend managed to hit 4.0 with an auto setting of 1.4V, i managed to reduce it to 1.382V. So I OC to 3.9 and managed a 1.362V.
So let me expplain this to you, 1600 is a 65W tdp @stock 1600X is a 95W TDP part. So if you dont understand this, go ahead and google it and you will understand.
:D

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

I was just making your post more kiss for less geeky prospects. i.e, similar speeds are easily available to just plain folks.

I would think your OC of the non x cpu confirms what i said, that you got similar results from the non x.

Further I hear ~4k & 3200 are a sweet spot for power & heat - that over 4k isnt worth the grief.

kudos re the ram OC on your 3200 rated ram tho. That clock speed dictates the critical infinity fabric bus speed..

Jorge Nascimento

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014

Non x oc with higher voltage, x variants can oc a little higher with lower voltage within what amd calls safe settings 1.35x.

Status
Not open for further replies.