News Hot Chips 34 Reveals Intel's 3D Foveros Ambitions for Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake CPUs

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
So, what would be considered 3D Foveros on that design? Are there L2 SRAM tiles in the substrate?

The base chunk that all the chiplets are plugging into is the Foveros. To oversimplify things, Foveros is a super-fancy breadboard with brains. You can plug a bunch of chips into it and they all start communicating at ultra high speeds. So you can have your logical cores built at TSMC, your GPU built inside of Intel's leading edge fabs, and a I/O chip built on an older generation process in another fab - plug them all into foveros and they'll work together as if they're a single chip.

They don't really point it out in the pictures, strangely.

Reactions: gg83

cyrusfox

Distinguished
thanks ... so, on Ponte Vecchio they label it as their communication fabric.
Yep it says Foveros right next to communication fabric on this picture of Ponte Vecchio, but Ponte Vecchio also has EMIB and all that HBM making it a massive chip. Nothing like the compact pictures of Meteor lake being shown, interested to hear about the details from hot chips and future packaging plans. How do they compare to what Apple has already achieved with the M1Ultra?

JayNor

Honorable
May 31, 2019
I ran across a techpowerup article, "Intel Details Ponte Vecchio Accelerator: 63 Tiles, 600 Watt TDP, and Lots of Bandwidth", that has the best description I've seen of the Ponte Vecchio base tile ... 17 layers, with memory controller, FIVR, power management, pcie5 16 lanes, CXL ... so they did manage to move a few items onto it.

SiliconFly

Prominent
Jun 13, 2022
Intel if they can not produce the chips they can talk about how good they will be once they get around to making them :rolleyes::sneaky:
Their 12th Gen Alder Lake was on schedule. The upcoming 13th Gen Raptor Lake is on schedule. Their future 14th Gen Meteor Lake is set to be released 12 months after Raptor Lake. Again on schedule.

What are you talking about? Still living in the past and believing all FUD spread by cheap AMD marketing? :rolleyes: Enter 2022!

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Their 12th Gen Alder Lake was on schedule. The upcoming 13th Gen Raptor Lake is on schedule. Their future 14th Gen Meteor Lake is set to be released 12 months after Raptor Lake. Again on schedule.

What are you talking about? Still living in the past and believing all FUD spread by cheap AMD marketing? :rolleyes: Enter 2022!
I wrote that comment 4 months ago is 13th generation out now are we still hearing how good it is going to be?
Enter the 3 quarter :geek: