Hot CPU after custom loop build

Jan 2, 2019
Hello,

First water cooled built I have ever built. I followed Linus' video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtHDqdo5pR0 .

It is amazing how well the videos stay relevant, so thank you Linus :).

I have the Corsaid 900D, the exact pump he used (MCP 655 Swifttech), a 9900K and 2x RTX 2080ti's with an Auros Master board.

The temperatures, under huge overclock, are AMAZING for my gpu's. They never go above 48 degrees. However, my CPU hovers around 85 (in 3 cores, probably closer to 76 in the others) when I prime 95 test it. Idle is like 25-30 degrees. When I game it is around 54 - 60 degrees. This is when it is not overclocked and at a 1.2V (stock). I cannot seem to get a stable overclock at all, and if I do and volt it to 1.275 it gets to around 95 degrees in some cores.

I have an EKWB velocity waterblock. I have 2 480 rads, 1 240 and 1 120. It goes Resovior --> Pump --> 480 rad --> 480 rad --> cpu --> 120 rad --> gpu 1 --> gpu 2 --> 240 rad --> res. The first 480 is in the basement, then the next it up top, then the 120 is in the top back of the case. The last 240 rad is in the bottom accrose from the 480.

I have bleed the air out for some time, and when I put it sideways, cpu facing up and run the pump it seems to work the best for bleeding. I cannot really see liquid moving through the loop, as I stupidly bought a full metal CPU block that isn't see through.

Questions:

Is the system not bled enough?
Is the pump even working? I cannot tell if liquid is moving through, BUT the GPU temps are so good so I assume it is.
I remounted the cooler for the cpu 3x now. Maybe it is just a weird fit and doesnt work with the board that well.
The i9 9900K can't be cooled much better.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks so much, this has been bothering me for so long.

Solution
i'm not an OC expert but have one idea or question - do you have any of the presets enabled, ie XMP, TUrbo Boost, Ehanced turbo boost? if so, disable them -

what's your LLC set at Auto, or what level?

How many fans do you have feeding air into the computer case?

and are your radiators exhausting out of the case, or are any blowing in?

Setting you fans on the far side of the radiators and having them 'Pulling air thru" is more efficent than the fans pushing air thru the radiators

there's a pretty decent "OC by the numbers guide" over on the MSI website https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

for the helluva of it, return your bios to defaults and follow it

that's a helluva rig you've...
i'm not an OC expert but have one idea or question - do you have any of the presets enabled, ie XMP, TUrbo Boost, Ehanced turbo boost? if so, disable them -

what's your LLC set at Auto, or what level?

How many fans do you have feeding air into the computer case?

and are your radiators exhausting out of the case, or are any blowing in?

Setting you fans on the far side of the radiators and having them 'Pulling air thru" is more efficent than the fans pushing air thru the radiators

there's a pretty decent "OC by the numbers guide" over on the MSI website https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

for the helluva of it, return your bios to defaults and follow it

that's a helluva rig you've assembled though

Solution
Jan 2, 2019

Thank you for the overclocking guide, I will look at it and give it a go. My LLC was auto, but when I try an overclocking profile I usually go to Turbo on mine, which is decently aggressive. I do have the profile 1 on XMP, and I know that does also cause stability issues. I have the fans doing both, I have some pulling through and some pushing through. I did it like that because if the Rads were all on the outsides of the fans it gave me more room to work with my tubing. Thank you so much for the reply. I also just reseated it and the numbers got a tiny bit better, but not really by much.

Thank you for the overclocking guide, I will look at it and give it a go. My LLC was auto, but when I try an overclocking profile I usually go to Turbo on mine, which is decently aggressive. I do have the profile 1 on XMP, and I know that does also cause stability issues. I have the fans doing both, I have some pulling through and some pushing through. I did it like that because if the Rads were all on the outsides of the fans it gave me more room to work with my tubing. Thank you so much for the reply. I also just reseated it and the numbers got a tiny bit better, but not really by much.[/quotemsg]

Take a look at that guide - MSI states you should not have any of those presets selected, you don't know what they've enabled in the background,

And as uguv stated, and i should have asked, what P95 are you using? You should use P95 V26.6 small FFTs selected - that will eliminate AVX instructions running

So first off you have way more radiator space then you would need, a single 480mm radiator would be fine for the CPU and the 240mm would cover the two 2080 ti's.

Next would be head pressure, that single MCP 655 pump is probably struggling to move the flow rate through 4 radiators and 3 water blocks which will make it fail sooner then later.

Lastly would be having the 480mm at the top of the case right before the cpu. Hot air rises so you're pulling all the hot air out of the case through the radiator giving you minimal cooling at the best.