Question Hot CPU only on cold boot with a gigabyte z590 and I9-11900K

Jan 14, 2022
Someone else had a similar issue several years back but with no posted resolution so seeing if anyone else has had this happen and if they found a cure.

Within the last few months I noticed that when I would fire up my machine, I’d hear the fans cranked up. I just figured it was some kind of start up procedure and didn’t pay much attention. Then last week for the heck of it I fired up CPUID and learned that all cores on the CPU were cranked up in the 90c+ range sometimes tapping 100c. CPU usage was nearly nothing. Then like you flipped a switch, it goes down to say 30c.

I did some further experimenting and watched everything from in the BIOS and to shorten it up, here’s what it does: If the machine is at a cold boot (as in first fire up after sitting all night) and the ambient air temperature is on the cool side (say 60-65f), within 30 seconds or so the CPU starts cranking up the temperature into the 90c+ range. after say 15 seconds or so the MB will start throttling the voltage from a start of about 1.3 volts down to about .8v or so, after about the 2 minute mark from cold boot, like you threw a switch, it drops from 90c+ to a correct temperature of say 30c. It makes that temperature transition in about 3 seconds time frame. Then all is good from here on out.

if the ambient temperature is something more normal (say 76f), on a cold boot within about 15-30 seconds the processor gets up to mid 50c and goes down to about 30c.

So the problem only happens in a cooler ambient room and only on first/cold boot.

To this I say WTF!!?

I didn’t notice this problem until I went to the F5 BIOS and the same day up to F6 but this just so happens to be about the same time that the weather was changing into late fall or early winter so I don’t know if the BIOS caused this condition or the weather! I put the machine together last summer so this is the first change of the season so nothing to compare to.

I looked at the flow meter in the bios on Startup and it shows the pump just working away while those upper temps exist.

Gigabyte says I can RMA the board but if this is a BIOS issue that won’t do me any good, it appears there was some kind of hack with their mother boards recently and once you go to F6 there’s no going back because they don’t want anyone using an older BIOS.

Any suggestions from anyone? Anyone have this problem and found the solution? I do have a laser temperature gun/sensor, what do I point it at to get the temperature? System temp is normal through all this. Only CPU temp shows high.

All ears!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thread may have been skipped over due to bad timing. It was the beginning of the weekend; site traffic drops during the weekends. Plus, traffic hasn't been as high either due to declining interest, I imagine, for obvious reasons...

You've omitted perhaps the most important part in this cooling inquiry: Only you know what the cpu cooler is.

Jan 14, 2022
Thread may have been skipped over due to bad timing. It was the beginning of the weekend; site traffic drops during the weekends. Plus, traffic hasn't been as high either due to declining interest, I imagine, for obvious reasons...

You've omitted perhaps the most important part in this cooling inquiry: Only you know what the cpu cooler is.

You are correct. It’s a ThermalTake 240 AIO. According to the Bios it’s just pumping away during the perceived temperature spike and as soon as that assumed switch is thrown that takes the CPU temp from 90+ down to 30, the pump action lessons right along with it.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It's got some years on it, or no?

Did you just 'set it and forget it', or did you customize the pump and fan speeds? The default curve would have the pump running at a low rpm. Higher rpm would handle frequent ups and downs of low cpu loads better.

Jan 14, 2022
It's got some years on it, or no?

Did you just 'set it and forget it', or did you customize the pump and fan speeds? The default curve would have the pump running at a low rpm. Higher rpm would handle frequent ups and downs of low cpu loads better.
Everything is no more than 7 months old. I do let the bios control the pump speed but it seems to be doing what it should as far as ramping up as appropriate. The curious part is that after those two minutes it acts like a switch is thrown and CPU temps go from 90 to 30 in about 3 seconds time. Gigabyte has issued me an RMA to send it back but I’m looking to see if I have overlooked something before I break it down and go without the machine for an undetermined period of time.

When I saw another persons thread on here with nearly the exact same issue I had my hopes up but the guy never posted any final outcome.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Just 7 months... still fairly young then. That throws out most of what I had in mind.
I still have the idea of bios Vs software: You're controlling the AIO through bios, but do you have some Gigabyte monitoring software installed? As in, the software has its own fan and pump controls?

Jan 14, 2022
Just 7 months... still fairly young then. That throws out most of what I had in mind.
I still have the idea of bios Vs software: You're controlling the AIO through bios, but do you have some Gigabyte monitoring software installed? As in, the software has its own fan and pump controls?
That’s all set in the bios and at it’s default settings. For the pump it runs a slopped scale based on the CPU temp. They do have some software that you can run in windows but all it really does is modify the bios settings.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They do have some software that you can run in windows but all it really does is modify the bios settings.
Well, you don't really need the software if bios does it all for you anyways.

Briefly runs at 90C+, and soon after, it's like it never happened...
-pump rpm set too low + very high/extreme load line levels
-cooler pushing out an air bubble that settled in the water block.
-software overriding bios.
-rather young for corrosion/clogs, unless the Thermaltake cooler has a water quality issue similar to the Enermax Liqtechs.

Bios not communicating with the pump header? Pump not doing anything until it's 'woken up' by the cpu throttling? Never heard of it or seen it with the 3 AIOs I have on hand, but I'm just one guy.

Jan 14, 2022
The bios shows the flow rate of the pump. Not sure where it gets that though. I think I saw somewhere that you can feel a line on the AIO to verify that it’s actually flowing. I’ll check that out. I have a good air cooler I could try too. Seems if the flow was an issue it has the potential to vary the symptoms. This think is consistent so long as ambient air is on the cool side.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I think I saw somewhere that you can feel a line on the AIO to verify that it’s actually flowing. I’ll check that out.
You put the cpu under a load, like Cinebench, and feel both tubes.
With a normal, or good flow, you should have a hard time telling a difference between the 2.
Bad flow: "Hey, this one's pretty warm to the touch, but the other's pretty cool.

Within the last few months I noticed that when I would fire up my machine, I’d hear the fans cranked up. I just figured it was some kind of start up procedure and didn’t pay much attention. Then last week for the heck of it I fired up CPUID and learned that all cores on the CPU were cranked up in the 90c+ range sometimes tapping 100c. CPU usage was nearly nothing. Then like you flipped a switch, it goes down to say 30c.
This spoke to me like there is something(organic/inorganic) occasionally getting stuck in the loop.

I did some further experimenting and watched everything from in the BIOS and to shorten it up, here’s what it does: If the machine is at a cold boot (as in first fire up after sitting all night) and the ambient air temperature is on the cool side (say 60-65f), within 30 seconds or so the CPU starts cranking up the temperature into the 90c+ range. after say 15 seconds or so the MB will start throttling the voltage from a start of about 1.3 volts down to about .8v or so, after about the 2 minute mark from cold boot, like you threw a switch, it drops from 90c+ to a correct temperature of say 30c. It makes that temperature transition in about 3 seconds time frame. Then all is good from here on out.
Ignoring the ambient part, this one spoke to me like the pump is just pushing out air - or perhaps an organic/inorganic intruder - that settled in the water block overnight.
Hmm, can't really call it an intruder, since it would had to have been in the loop from the beginning.

Do let us know what the air cooler does.

Jan 14, 2022
This is a gigabyte z590 Ultra. I did come across yet another thread where someone had a nearly identical problem. The jist of the solution was that in the cooler ambient air the fan/pump curve would not kick in because the temps were below any threshold of activating then when the temps would cross that line things would kick on. Seems the split second that CPU crosses the line things would be on.

let me do some more experimenting and I’ll reply back. I can tell you as a matter of fact that the fans are on at boot up. Let me see if I feel the pump actually running.

Jan 14, 2022
I did a little experimenting yesterday in turning off ultra fast boot since this is something I had turned on about the time this weirdness started but no help.

On the cold boot, I did feel the lines for the AIO and they stayed cool through the boot process despite the initial high temp readings and after the imaginary flip was switched there was no change in that.

Then I ran a heavy flight sim session for a while and then felt this lines and both were slightly warm. This just tells me that when the CPU is genuinely warm I will feel it within the lines.

i feel no heat during the cold boot anywhere.

Jan 14, 2022
Latest update. I put a new motherboard in it today. My computer room has had heat in it all day today so I won’t really know until tomorrow morning what my real results are. It booted up with zero temperature issues this evening but the room was 78 degrees. One super positive thing is it boots in half the time compared to the other motherboard. The old one would sit on the pre-post screen for like 10-15 seconds before the BIOS screen comes up (where you can press DEL to enter the BIOS). Now it does like my old computer used to and it’s at the windows logon screen in short order. I always assumed the big delay was it going through a RAM check or something but now I’m thinking it’s really something wrong with the MB I just removed.

I’m putting my RAID configuration back together now copying data. It will be nice and cold tomorrow morning and I’ll know for sure if the new MB fixes the problem with the processor reported temps when cold. More to follow!

Jan 14, 2022
Follow up: Everything working great and as it should. Fires up and idles at a cool 17c. Shame on Gigabyte. Not only was the first MB a problem child but it cost ME $30 to ship it to them for an RMA and the board is like 7 months old or so.