[SOLVED] HOT HOT HOT CPU. Is it me or RYZEN 5 3600?

canitocool

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Greetings, beloved forum. I built a brand new PC to be in the new tech wave. I took some internet advices and wanted to play casual cause I am a gamer but not a hard core player. I will show you the configuracion of my rig:

AMD RYZEN 5 3600 3.5GHZ
COOLER MASTER MASTER AIR MA620M
GIGABYE X570 GAMER X REV. 1.0
CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3200 MHZ DDR4 DRAM DESKTOP GAMING KIT 16GB X 2 (4x8) 32GB TOTAL
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB GDDR5
CORSAIR CX-750 PSU (NO 80 GOLD LABEL)

The problem that I am having with the CPU is that even that I got a great cooling system, it won't reach a temperature lower than 43-47° C. I move the mouse and it rises to 57 to 63°C. I had lowered the voltage to 0.9 to lower the temperature and it won't work. On the other side, when I open Google Chrome and opens automatic webpages, it rises to even 83°C. Can someone tell me what did I do wrong to deserve that punishment from my new rig? You can see the CPU-Z text file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15LybK1Ajohah_bJxKhsD_qBCITtSIY0j/view?usp=sharing

I will appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks in advance.

AJ

Solution
None of the above.

Ya'll have your heads stuck on Intel temps. Ryzen isn't Intel.

With Intel, at idle they cut power to all cores, but all cores remain active. Any background load is split up over the full core count, so you'll see a 32°C idle, that'll bounce to 40ish as any services startup, as that's the hottest core at that given time. Ryzen does the opposite, go figure it's AMD. Ryzen completely deactivates all the cores except 1. Totally asleep, unused, not active in the slightest. Leaving one core to do all the background tasks, which add up the load. Being the hottest core by far, it's the only core that gets read, but is under a much higher load by itself than the split up loads on Intel. So temps in the mid 40's are totally...
Greetings, beloved forum. I built a brand new PC to be in the new tech wave. I took some internet advices and wanted to play casual cause I am a gamer but not a hard core player. I will show you the configuracion of my rig:

AMD RYZEN 5 3600 3.5GHZ
COOLER MASTER MASTER AIR MA620M
GIGABYE X570 GAMER X REV. 1.0
CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3200 MHZ DDR4 DRAM DESKTOP GAMING KIT 16GB X 2 (4x8) 32GB TOTAL
EVGA NVIDIA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB GDDR5
CORSAIR CX-750 PSU (NO 80 GOLD LABEL)

The problem that I am having with the CPU is that even that I got a great cooling system, it won't reach a temperature lower than 43-47° C. I move the mouse and it rises to 57 to 63°C. I had lowered the voltage to 0.9 to lower the temperature and it won't work. On the other side, when I open Google Chrome and opens automatic webpages, it rises to even 83°C. Can someone tell me what did I do wrong to deserve that punishment from my new rig? You can see the CPU-Z text file here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15LybK1Ajohah_bJxKhsD_qBCITtSIY0j/view?usp=sharing

I will appreciate any help from you guys. Thanks in advance.

AJ
Something was mounted wrong, with that cooler 3600 should catch cold and sneeze a lot.

Reactions: canitocool

canitocool

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
Double check all your parts against the instructions. There are Intel parts and AMD parts. Also ensure you removed the plastic on the bottom of the cooler.

I removed the plastic under the copper side of the cooler. But I am going to take a chance to disassemble the pc and going back step by step. Thank you guys.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, what it comes down to is that air coolers are very simple (and effective). If they're attached properly, they will work, because of the basic principles of thermal dynamics, which are basic physical properties. Even if the fan is broken, it'll remove a good deal of heat.

You didn't mention your case...the best air cooler in the world wont do much in a case with poor airflow.

Also make sure to run the Ryzen balanced power plan and if you've messed with the processor power state setting put it back to stock.

With all of the drive bays blocking the front fan it's likely you have an airflow issue in the case...one way to prove it is to remove the side panel and point a room fan into the case...if things improve you know thats the issue.

If it was me I'd be looking into a better case with 3 front unobstructed intake fans...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
None of the above.

Ya'll have your heads stuck on Intel temps. Ryzen isn't Intel.

With Intel, at idle they cut power to all cores, but all cores remain active. Any background load is split up over the full core count, so you'll see a 32°C idle, that'll bounce to 40ish as any services startup, as that's the hottest core at that given time. Ryzen does the opposite, go figure it's AMD. Ryzen completely deactivates all the cores except 1. Totally asleep, unused, not active in the slightest. Leaving one core to do all the background tasks, which add up the load. Being the hottest core by far, it's the only core that gets read, but is under a much higher load by itself than the split up loads on Intel. So temps in the mid 40's are totally normal. Add in the spike from services startups and bounces to mid 60's are also normal.

You see the temp as 45ish, but fail to realize that that's a single core reading of the entire pc background tasks, it's not the entire cpu. The other cores are running @ 23°C ± case temp Delta differences.

All those people who claim to see Ryzens running in the 30's aren't doing anything in the background. No malware checks, no AV checks, no system update checks, no windows services checks etc.

Load temps are entirely different from idle temps. Load temps are regulated by the efficiency of the cpu cooler, and the stock Wraith Stealth is decent for a stock cooler, but that's as far as that goes. Balanced power plan and turning OFF PBO is about all you can do to get minimal temps at load. Or get a better cooler, fix airflow issues.

Thermal pads on a cpu are ill-advised, they have nowhere near the thermal conductivity of paste and lower the overall cooling effectiveness of any cooler stuck on top. Much more likely to allow a cpu to bypass its normal throttle/shutdown triggers and allow the cpu to hit run-away temps (that's pretty much the same occurance as the 2 minute wait time on microwaved foods still cooking even though the microwave is off)

Last edited:
Reactions: canitocool
Solution

canitocool

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
View: https://i.imgur.com/x4BTX7l.jpg

Beside the temperature, now the Power Deviation that x570 motherboards has, look how much deviation I am getting on my pc. BTW I disassemble the whole pc and build it back again. New thermal paste and all and still the same. In the end, to preserve the CPU (besides the deviation thingie), I had to lower the voltage on the CPU because I didn't find any mistakes while building my rig. I am getting dissapointed, but reading what
Karadjgne said, I feel a bit confident that nothing extreme is going to happen. Thank you all for helping me out with your grain of knowledge. Please stay safe, stay home, play a lot. :LOL::LOL:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh. You have a Gigabyte mobo, not Asus. For lack of a better expression, both Gigabyte and MSI cheat. There's power limits to the cpus, be it Intel or AMD and Asus is the only company to stick to those cpu power limits like glue. For instance the Intel power limit of a 10 series cpu might be 95w with a turbo duration of 56 seconds. Both Gigabyte and MSI program their bios at 4095w and a 9999........ second turbo duration. End result is the cpu gets 'better' performance on their boards, staying at the 4.7GHz all core turbo, while Asus drops to 4.2GHz after a minute. Gives Asus a bad reputation for crappy performance, but at least it's honest performance and runs the cpu far cooler than the overblown Gigabyte and MSI boards.

That affects many things, and I'm betting 'Power Reported Deviation' is just one of them.

Reactions: CountMike

canitocool

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2012
With all of the drive bays blocking the front fan it's likely you have an airflow issue in the case...one way to prove it is to remove the side panel and point a room fan into the case...if things improve you know thats the issue.

If it was me I'd be looking into a better case with 3 front unobstructed intake fans...
I am considering to change it for a more ventilated one. I just don't want to miss the upper case hard drive slot for 3.5 and 2.5 hard drive, but my rig is first rather than that thingie. Another thanks for the suggestion.