Hot News: February 23th-28th

Status
Not open for further replies.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Apparently, the fourth core might not be disabled on an PII X3. Which is a tad surprising, but might be worth potentially checking out. If so, then it'd make something like the 720BE even more alluring; thanks to its astounding overclocking ceiling, it'd be like getting a quad-core i7 worth a lot more for less than $150US, an utter steal.

As far as the music industry goes, given how the FCC slapped up Comcast over messing with their client's connections, I doubt that any ISP will really give in to the demands of the RIAA in the United States; what worries me is that European countries typically don't have the same free speech/net neutrality policies that are effectively sacrosanct in the USA. (and have been the primary impetus for the US Government's refusal to let up any of their control of the Internet)

I must say that I grow tired of such organizations, which effectively act as cartels and mob bosses all at once, making the musicians who have real abilities come to rely on them, and swindling the bulk of earnings away, leaving them with just enough to keep pressing on, but not enough for them to dare try to cut loose and work independently. I keep hoping that one day, groups like the RIAA and IRMA, along with the recording labels they fight for, will just be a bad memory, the Internet and digital downloads bringing a virtual flood to bring extinction to the recording label dinosaurs, allowing artists to possibly start making decent money, with the only labels remaining being those run by more successful artists, rather than business suits merely looking to fleece them.

Lastly, it's rather curious how Apple is trying to bring their foot down here. Such a court case would have to explore exactly what the scope of the DMCA is, which could potentially be a rather slippery slope; after all, since it expands anti-piracy laws to cover acts which aren't actual piracy, but potentially connected to piracy, to treat those who commit such acts as pirates themselves, one must question where an act ceases to potentially be something to defeat copy-protection/DRM, and is actually legit. If Apple wins that sort of case, then technically, I could argue that, in many cases, one simply accessing the Internet is also commiting acts that would be outlawed by the DMCA.

silicondoc

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
Why doesn't the government get a dang clue and hire the guy for Homeland Security. I watched an hour long documentary with him interviewed. It's really amazing what pathetic computer security the USA has. China stole all the nuke info during the Clintoon years, and even today they can't count the number of laptops just gone missing or the memory sticks that breach any form of security out in the wild.
Last article I read 6 months ago, they issued hundreds of usb memeory sticks in a high security arena, then recalled them, because they were utterly unsecure, and the people came by and tossed them in a box - they lost count and track of the box shortly thereafter.
I know, it's only people trying as they might to have some sort of security, but what doesn't happen is LISTENING, and the people the USA gov NEEDS to listen to are the hackers and crackers, because they are the ones who can rip right into their systems.
70 years is INSANE. The guy never destroyed anything, never erased any data... 70 years for EMBARRASSING the idiots at HS and NSA and whom knows where else- certainly every single one of our top 7 secure laboratories - ALL BREACHED constantly because the old eggheads on cap hill haven't got clue one, and think they can prevent things by "sending a message".
Here's a message " YOU ARE IDIOT THROWBACKS TO DAYS GONE BY - START ACTING LIKE MODERN, CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS, instead of control freak, 70 year prison ax nazis".
Let's face it - the REAL ENEMIES - our government will never "proscute openly on the boob tube and in the national press" - not like this star trek freak hacker was any threat to national security whatsoever...
So as they spend MILLIONS to pursue and incarcerate some fool X-Files publci citizen Q, the real enemies lay waste and breach security - AND STEAL EVERY SECRET WE EVER HAD.
That of course, they utterly ignore, because it's REAL DABGEROUS going after someone willing to risk their life or kill for their country, communist or otherwise.
Yeah, go after the average x-file joe, YOU IDIOTS IN THE USA GOVERNMENT - YOU PATHETIC FREAKS - YOU SICKEN ME.

silicondoc

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
[citation][nom]jamison[/nom]Lets just talk about the phenon please.[/citation]
Sorry buddy. Hey that's great on the phenom - I'll wager the mboard sells out in days.

silicondoc

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
They'ell incarcerate this poor x-file freak for 70 years, and let 2,500 terrorists go of Gitmo - terrorists who shot at and killed our boys, and everyone else's boys on the good side.
What a bunch of jack - - - - -.
There, decrypt that - you idiot government Politcally Correct lunatics.

nerrawg

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Gary McKinnon has asperger syndrome and the UK DPP did not prosecute him because their psychiatric evaluation team determined that he didn't truly understand the gravity of his actions.

However it makes sense that the US is going to try this guy for a maximum of 70 years, after all we just recently stopped zapping mentally handicapped people in the state of Texas. The federal legal system will also always take any opportunity to make an example out of something it considers criminal, or just in opposition, whether it is logically warranted or not.

Here we have the illogical case of making an example against anti-social virtual internet, by using someone who is bordering idiot-savant genius and who's social understanding of the world is profoundly restricted, as described by his official medical condition. Well I guess its up to our lawyers now to battle it out and see how low we can stoop.

http://freegary.org.uk/

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jamison[/nom]Lets just talk about the phenon please.[/citation]
Um, this article does happen to contain 10 pages, of which only the first is on the Phenom II X3. So really, any of the subjects are perfectly legit things to be brought up.

[citation][nom]silicondoc[/nom]Why doesn't the government get a dang clue and hire the guy for Homeland Security. I watched an hour long documentary with him interviewed. It's really amazing what pathetic computer security the USA has. [/citation]
Actually, as far as the virtual security goes, it's rather good. However, I'd point out that virtual games of Capture-The-Flag (where two teams attempt to hack into each other's networks) NEVER end in stalemate, (not even at DEF CON) which highlights an important fact many people overlook: it is impossible to have a perfect defense against hackers. Even having the best hackers in the world on your team won't make you invincible. Otherwise the bulk of those CTF games, or even just SOME of them, would wind up in a stalemate.

The weak parts of US security lie on the physical realm; as you mention, the poor tracking of sensitive data items. In reality, this is how security breaches happen for virtually every entity, be it a person, an organization, a government, military, school, or what have you.

[citation][nom]the people the USA gov NEEDS to listen to are the hackers and crackers, because they are the ones who can rip right into their systems. 70 years is INSANE. The guy never destroyed anything, never erased any data...[/citation]
Actually, given that he outright admited he left a message, and professed that he was "disrupting," then that's effectively a self-admission he was causing some form of damage, otherwise it wouldn't have been a disruption. The military is only claiming damages of $700,000US, which given how widespread his attacks were, seem like a personally reasonable estimate for damage; after all, they had to pay to make sure they'd restored whatever security barriers he'd broken through and deactivated. (which likely required something as drastic as a reformat and reinstall on all compromised systems to be sure)

Also, the USA *does* listen to the hackers. If I recall correctly, they've had a presence at virtually every DEF CON, and even make attempts to recruit some of them there. This kinda illustrates the proper/improper ways of getting into a field; if you kill a police officer, it'd be kinda silly to expect them to try to hire you since you're good at killing; you'd expect that the cop-killer will be thrown in prison. The same goes for hacking; hacking into a government network merely demonstrates that you are immoral, while partaking in legitimate security activities that in all likelihood are more challenging, (like CTF) is a demonstration of skill.

[citation][nom]Here's a message " YOU ARE IDIOT THROWBACKS TO DAYS GONE BY - START ACTING LIKE MODERN, CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS, instead of control freak, 70 year prison ax nazis". Let's face it - the REAL ENEMIES - (snip) - AND STEAL EVERY SECRET WE EVER HAD. Yeah, go after the average x-file joe, YOU IDIOTS IN THE USA GOVERNMENT - YOU PATHETIC FREAKS - YOU SICKEN ME.[/citation]
Caps lock is cruise control for cool. But seriously, he was a threat to security, in that anyone boring into a network is going to leave a hole that others can follow, and follow without even having ANY skill; simple scipt kiddies could invite themselves in after that. It's rather expensive to make absolutely sure that you've reversed all the damage that the guy did; as I said above, it likely entailed a complete wipe and reinstall of all compromised systems, which meant lots of wasted time and money.

[citation][nom]nerrawg[/nom]Gary McKinnon has asperger syndrome and the UK DPP did not prosecute him because their psychiatric evaluation team determined that he didn't truly understand the gravity of his actions.[/citation]
To be honest, unlike with the case of other psychological disorders, such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, and even autism, I consider the concept of Asperger syndrome to be a dubious disorder. Basically, while it's marked by incredibly social-emotional retardation, I feel that the retardation is not a symptom of the disorder, but the retardation is simply caused by external forces, and actually could be readily overcome without any sort of drugs. Hence, I consider it just a flimsy excuse to justify someone chronically engaging in sociopathic behavior, as a habit that they've been unable to break. But any habit can be broken if given enough effort and time; it just seems like those with Asperger's just don't bother to try. Hence, I don't really feel that being diagnosed as "Asperger's" should serve as protection against being tried for criminal actions.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Ack, why don't they offer a preview option for replies? It'd help to avoid the retarded stuff like above. Here's a re-posting of the latter half with the formatting fixed, so you can, y'know, actually read it:

[citation][nom]silicondoc[/nom]the people the USA gov NEEDS to listen to are the hackers and crackers, because they are the ones who can rip right into their systems. 70 years is INSANE. The guy never destroyed anything, never erased any data...[/citation]
Actually, given that he outright admited he left a message, and professed that he was "disrupting," then that's effectively a self-admission he was causing some form of damage, otherwise it wouldn't have been a disruption. The military is only claiming damages of $700,000US, which given how widespread his attacks were, seem like a personally reasonable estimate for damage; after all, they had to pay to make sure they'd restored whatever security barriers he'd broken through and deactivated. (which likely required something as drastic as a reformat and reinstall on all compromised systems to be sure)

Also, the USA *does* listen to the hackers. If I recall correctly, they've had a presence at virtually every DEF CON, and even make attempts to recruit some of them there. This kinda illustrates the proper/improper ways of getting into a field; if you kill a police officer, it'd be kinda silly to expect them to try to hire you since you're good at killing; you'd expect that the cop-killer will be thrown in prison. The same goes for hacking; hacking into a government network merely demonstrates that you are immoral, while partaking in legitimate security activities that in all likelihood are more challenging, (like CTF) is a demonstration of skill.

[citation][nom]silicondoc[/nom]Here's a message " YOU ARE IDIOT THROWBACKS TO DAYS GONE BY - START ACTING LIKE MODERN, CIVILIZED HUMAN BEINGS, instead of control freak, 70 year prison ax nazis". Let's face it - the REAL ENEMIES - (snip) - AND STEAL EVERY SECRET WE EVER HAD. Yeah, go after the average x-file joe, YOU IDIOTS IN THE USA GOVERNMENT - YOU PATHETIC FREAKS - YOU SICKEN ME.[/citation]
Caps lock is cruise control for cool. But seriously, he was a threat to security, in that anyone boring into a network is going to leave a hole that others can follow, and follow without even having ANY skill; simple scipt kiddies could invite themselves in after that. It's rather expensive to make absolutely sure that you've reversed all the damage that the guy did; as I said above, it likely entailed a complete wipe and reinstall of all compromised systems, which meant lots of wasted time and money.

[citation][nom]nerrawg[/nom]Gary McKinnon has asperger syndrome and the UK DPP did not prosecute him because their psychiatric evaluation team determined that he didn't truly understand the gravity of his actions.[/citation]
To be honest, unlike with the case of other psychological disorders, such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, and even autism, I consider the concept of Asperger syndrome to be a dubious disorder. Basically, while it's marked by incredibly social-emotional retardation, I feel that the retardation is not a symptom of the disorder, but the retardation is simply caused by external forces, and actually could be readily overcome without any sort of drugs. Hence, I consider it just a flimsy excuse to justify someone chronically engaging in sociopathic behavior, as a habit that they've been unable to break. But any habit can be broken if given enough effort and time; it just seems like those with Asperger's just don't bother to try. Hence, I don't really feel that being diagnosed as "asperger's" should serve as protection against being tried for criminal actions.

adamk890

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I may be mistaken but wont blocking the pirate bay just be doing what
They did with napster. I think that piracy will always be there. you can smash the industry into as many fragments as you want but the industry
will always be there just it will be dominated by more smaller players. Not that I support piracy in any shape or form but couldn't people get around these blocked sites by using proxy's and anonimyzers just like every high school kid does to get on his facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS