Hot News of the Week: Friday the 13th Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Downloaded and worked with it for a day. Cleaner version of Vista Ultimate and just as buggy so far. I have to admit it is faster, but compatibility issues are killing me. Particularly anti virus software. Once installed as a "Vista compatible" program (Would not load under Windows 7) the program had all types of issues. Even Office 2003 with Windows Update failed every update available. Not a good start.

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
It worked perfectly for me the first time, except I needed to manually update the graphics drivers for my 1st gen MBP. It's perfectly compatible with all my apps- Steam, Office 03, AVG, FRAPS, etc. It runs faster than Vista, in about half the RAM space. I will definitely be buying when it's RTMed.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, people can stop complaining about the "bugs" they have in windows 7. It's a BETA - and not even the last beta before retail anyways.
If you have the same problems when the retail comes out, then you should voice your opinions, but until then send feedback to MS and stop complaining.

G

as far as actually using the Beta, I was surprised that it ran on an old Dell Dimension 8300, 1 Gig RAM, and an old GeForce 5200FX w/128mb. Network connectivity was really buggy, kept losing connection, I get that it's a BETA, but it's also a really poor excuse for Vista service pack whatever, I am formatting the drive I had it on, and waiting for RC1, I hear it will solve many issues I had with BETA, but for usability, it's back to XP Pro

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I am running it as my main OS on two machines. I love it. :)

Everything works fine. Drivers are no problem and i don't use Anti virus so that isn't a problem...

gaming performance is equaled or surpasssed XP pro 64 in all of my tests so im pretty fricken happy.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
have it installed on 3 machines. Runs really well. I have vista 64 ulitmate on a second partition on one of my machines. It runs about the same speed but alot less clutter. I give it an A and will be upgrading to it once its released.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I have had windows 7 installed on my gaming machine for about 4 weeks. I also use Vista 32 business and Vista 64 for my HTPC. It works fine, just like vista. It might be a little faster with most apps. It is hard to tell since my I7 gaming rig was pretty fast with vista. Windows 7 is a little harder on the games. I've lost about 5% FPS on most games. This is most likely due to driver issues.

Office 2003,AVG,Nero, and everything else that I have works fine without issues.

I really like the task bar. I enjoy browsing the with Windows 7 better than Vista.

Windows 7 is going to be a big hit. They should really scrap the 32 bit version though.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bearcat245[/nom]Downloaded and worked with it for a day. Cleaner version of Vista Ultimate and just as buggy so far. I have to admit it is faster, but compatibility issues are killing me. Particularly anti virus software. Once installed as a "Vista compatible" program (Would not load under Windows 7) the program had all types of issues. Even Office 2003 with Windows Update failed every update available. Not a good start.[/citation]

You expected software meant to fill the holes of a specific Operating System to fill the holes of another? Real smart.

I wouldn't surprised it that caused all of your issues.

ogre9001

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I've used it quite a bit as well. The exact same bugs that exist in Vista exist in this build. Problems with integrated sound cards, printers, 3d modeling software etc.
Hey coopchennick, you have to either be an employee of microsoft or the most pathetic fanboy I've ever seen!
Marcus specifically asked for those who'd tested the software to share THEIR thought in the comments section.
Keep it coming mister wizard. I suspect the yes man attitude of people like yourself is exactly why microsoft has never seen a need to actually fix these problems.

G

Been using it about a month. Faster and feels cleaner than Vista and XP. It have had a problem with my Logitech USB keyboard shutting off after the computer has been asleep -- bugged that, it's never happened in XP or Vista. The rest of my hardware works the same or better than in XP or Vista -- including my built-in sound card, printers and network. Still adding in software, but so far it all seems to work fine, games included. My Windows Mobile phone works better with Win7 than with XP. XP is a dear old OS, but it is getting old, and it hasn't been entirely happy with some of my more recent purchases. So, so far, so good for a beta product.

ogre9001

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
I've also seen a problem with the keyboards from logitech, but I'm not sure I'd blame that on the OS. I think Logitech needs to cleanup their desktop management software.

KrzyMoke

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I have been running the beta since the start. No problems during install, daily use or anything. I installed Fallout 3 without a hitch. Plays beautifully on my machine. Run all of the good FPS games with no hitches. I don't know what bugs are out there but I have not run into any.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]You expected software meant to fill the holes of a specific Operating System to fill the holes of another? Real smart.I wouldn't surprised it that caused all of your issues.[/citation]

Come on, if you're going to -1 me, at least have the courtesy to post your malformed retorts.

JMS3096

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Oh, one other bug I ran into in the ZIP extraction utility. it DOES NOT play nice with long file names. But, I think that that's also an issue in XP and Vista, and who wants to use the built-in ZIP extractor anyway?

twburger

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
I've been running Win7 for a week. It has many good points and does generally improve the user experience over Vista but it is an upgrade/service patch not a new version of Windows. There is still a lot of software (older Visual Studio versions) it will not run and it failed to recognize some of my hardware.

The oddest hardware problem was that most of the screen saver selections will not work because the older computer I installed it on (Toshiba Satellite A70 P4M 3GHz, 768MB RAM) does not support 3D video. Win7 does run OK on it.

I am not willing to pay a full new version price for Win7. It's an extensive service patch, not a new OS. I will switch to Linux or BSD or Haiku first. I could be convinced to pay an small upgrade/update fee of between $25 - $50 dollars. I prefer and will still be using XP Pro for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS