Hot North Bridge on Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3?

carman594

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I have a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3 and was reading some reviews on Newegg about it and they say the North Bridge gets really hot. So, before I even build my system, I wanna make sure this doesn't overheat. Some people said to remove the heatsink(i did) and replace the Arctic Silver and put the stock heatsink back on. I was thinking, should I just get a new heatsink(ZM-NBF 47)? But, I was reading that aftermarket heatsinks have problems with Gigabyte boards. Or, if this isn't a problem, should I forget it and put my stock heatsink back on with no additional thermal paste? This is my first PC build so I'm not sure. When I was removing the existing thermal paste from the heatsink the little felt square shaped thing came off. Is this a problem?

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The felt square had a hole the size of the NB chip in it? It's used to prevent over squeezing the NB, since it's a nekkid chip.

As far as getting a better heatsink, there are 5 billion choices, the best being the Thermalright HR-05. I run mine with no fan, but I got great case cooling and don't OC like crazy. E6600 at 3.26 and 1.45 volts.

If theres a passive heat sink, THEN ITS DESIGNED TO GET HOT.