[SOLVED] Hot place that i cant find

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I have a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard and after running my CPU at 100% load for some time apparently the 4th temperature sensor gets to ~85 celsius (HWInfo only says "Temperature 4" as the name). The problem is, i cant find the hot spot on the motherboard. Any ideas?

Solution
Yes, i process workunits for Rosetta@Home, so my load is at 100%. I guess thats why. From now on ill shutdown my pc once in a while to give it some rest.
You are right, that's going to make it run hot! But VRM's aren't like CPU's. The devices in VRM's that run that hot...MOSFETs...are extremely robust by comparison. They are routinely rated to operate at 125C, for instance.

But if you have a CPU cooler that does not direct cooling air onto the heatsink on them you could locate a small fan, maybe 50mm, blowing onto the heatsink to move the hot air out and let the case fans exhaust it. This is not an uncommon thing to do when processing extended duration AVX heavy loads like Rosetta or Folding@Home.
I have a Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 motherboard and after running my CPU at 100% load for some time apparently the 4th temperature sensor gets to ~85 celsius (HWInfo only says "Temperature 4" as the name). The problem is, i cant find the hot spot on the motherboard. Any ideas?
If the temperature is fairly steady and unvarying with system load, reading that even right after boot-up, it's most likely just an unused temp sensor input on the super-IO chip. They can do anything from reading random values to what you're experiencing.

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
If the temperature is fairly steady and unvarying with system load, reading that even right after boot-up, it's most likely just an unused temp sensor input on the super-IO chip. They can do anything from reading random values to what you're experiencing.

Thank you but it seems that's not the case, because when I turn the pc on it reads around 30 celsius

Thank you but it seems that's not the case, because when I turn the pc on it reads around 30 celsius
Does it hold that steadily, and then rise only as the CPU is working a heavy processing task? With a temp like that and varying with CPU processing load I'd consider it to be VRM temperature from a temp sensor somewhere between mosfets. You should have at least one CPU sensor already identified but it should track with the other even if a different value if at a different location.

While it could be a PCH temperature they normally vary with HDD activity and that's pretty high for that.

TMPIN0 - Motherboard (no idea where that sensor is)
TMPIN1 - PCH
TMPIN2 - CPU Socket
TMPIN3 - PCI-E
TMPIN4 - VRM (keep this under 125°C. Mine usually maxes out at 72 :/)
TMPIN5 - Aux (vSOC MOSFET)

Saw this on a reddit post for your board. It's VRM. Do not worry too much if you see 85C on that for your board.

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
Thank you to both of you! Sadly my fans spin to max rpms after it exceeds 70c, which never happened before. I think ill check voltage settings and stuff.

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
You never talked about any fans being to max rpms. If you have the case fans linked to your VRM's temperature you can change that in the BIOS. Should be CPU instead of VRM's.

Sadly i dont think i can change that. My fans go full speed as soon as any temperature sensor on the motherboard reaches 70c. But thank you!

rllb4

Prominent
Jun 26, 2019
I mean, are you running any apps at the time. The VRM really should not be getting hot unless the CPU is working really hard, and that means an app has to be running.

Yes, i process workunits for Rosetta@Home, so my load is at 100%. I guess thats why. From now on ill shutdown my pc once in a while to give it some rest.

You are right, that's going to make it run hot! But VRM's aren't like CPU's. The devices in VRM's that run that hot...MOSFETs...are extremely robust by comparison. They are routinely rated to operate at 125C, for instance.

But if you have a CPU cooler that does not direct cooling air onto the heatsink on them you could locate a small fan, maybe 50mm, blowing onto the heatsink to move the hot air out and let the case fans exhaust it. This is not an uncommon thing to do when processing extended duration AVX heavy loads like Rosetta or Folding@Home.

Solution