Hot power supply Vent heat.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
So I'm no stranger to the heat computers can generate (even in central air'd house in FL USA, my room gets really warm because of my PC alone).

But while playing a game I have noticed that the back of the PSU, where the heat vents out, is rather hot. More hot than the rest of my PC (seemingly so). I check the exhaust fans, whilst not cool air, it isn't exactly 'hot' either.

The PSU is more of a "ow that's hot" heat than "oh that's warm" heat.

Is this normal? Or a sign of an aging PSU? (mine is ~4 years old).

DeadRam

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Check the inlet fans at the front of the case. Maybe they quit working. Is the PSU mounted at the top of the case or bottom? Top mounted PSU's will run hotter because they pull air from the CPU area.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
It's a Corsair RM750 bottom mounted.

GPU 980TI ASUS STRIX
CPU: i7 4790k

All fans working.

I have 2 exhaust fans on the Radiator for the CPU, 1 rear exhaust fan, 2 front case intake fans, 1 fan on the SSD cage intake (other one was making loud clicking sounds, so I took it out), and 2 side panel fans on intake as well.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I have 2 exhaust fans on the Radiator for the CPU, 1 rear exhaust fan, 2 front case intake fans, 1 fan on the SSD cage intake (other one was making loud clicking sounds, so I took it out), and 2 side panel fans on intake as well.
That's lots of fans. What CFM do they have and are they running on max?

Also, cleaning PC, especially PSU with compressed air can help. Dust build can cause these issues problems.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

I don't have much dust in my system at all. I tend to air it out with a can of air weekly, and also have bottom and front dust filters. I even redid the cable management last month making the airflow much better than before. (I had 2 other fans. 1 Broke when I was trying to unscrew it from the case, the other I think was dying, so I took it out).

As for the speed of the fans; I'm not sure. It's whatever they're suppose to be at. I didn't change anything.
My entire PC will probably need a full rebuild soon, all the parts are fairly "old". And I think the fans are nearing their final years.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
As for the speed of the fans; I'm not sure. It's whatever they're suppose to be at. I didn't change anything
Some people connect it to mobo making their speed dynamic based on temps (less life but less noise too), others connect fans to PSU/Molex making them static/100% (more life but noisier)

Some tech tips. When choosing fans, leave RPM alone. Pay attention to CFM (Airflow, 60+) + dB (Noise, 25-) + Air pressure (for heatsinks). My four 80CFM fans raise a storm inside my case. Never had heat build up. You're using more than 500W of power.
My entire PC will probably need a full rebuild soon, all the parts are fairly "old". And I think the fans are nearing their final years
Your build is pretty good. Other than changing the PSU, I don't think you would get increased performance from going newer unless you go very high-end.
I don't have much dust in my system at all
Then, your PSU or its fan might be dying. Winter might help if your room tends to get cold. BTW, maybe it was like this from the start. You're using more than 500W of power. I assumed it happened recently.

There's no great need to upgrade just yet, but depending on your monitor a faster GPU may be useful.
Fans are cheap enough to be regarded as throwaway items: Noctua, Phanteks and BeQuiet! make some of the best available.
Obviously you've cleaned out the PSU air filter? Seriously, you'll be amazed at the number of people who forget this simple step.

Try turning the PSU upside down, and leaving the side panel off to check the fan operation/temperatures even the best fans have a finite life, and while doing so you may be unpleasantly surprised how much crud has built up in there, despite the case air filters..

Bottom mounted PSUs have the obvious issue that they tend to hoover up any dust, animal fur or carpet fibre around and the stuff can get deep inside, making removal a real pain. You won't get dust out of a PSU using an air can, you'll need to take it out and get it to a place with a proper compressor and airline to shift any buildup, either that or partially strip it down to gain access to the internal heatsinks and fan.
Using a garage type airline isn't recommended, you risk overspeeding the fan and damaging it, but it can be held with a suitable pen/pencil or screwdriver.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

the CPU, Rear Exhaust, and 2 side panel fans are connected to the Mobo.
The Front and SSD cage are connected to a fan controller because the plugs wouldn't reach the Mobo. The setting is set to auto, which usually overs around 40 to 60%.

The fans I use are all Corsair fans. 120mm IIRC. 2 LED, 2 Stock, AF and SP models.

I'm not sure my computer really is up to par with how I'd like it to run. I read that newer parts generate less heat, and use less electricity. So that is 1 reason I'd want an upgrade (based on hardware limitations, I'd need to upgrade the Mobo Ram and CPU all at once anyway).

As for the winter. It doesn't get much cooler here in Florida sad to say lol.

My PSU is 750, so how far above 500 am I using?
any troubleshooting is welcomed. I know how to put computers together, and make sure they work (via PCPartPicker) but other than installing windows OS; I don't know too much.

I have 1 1440p DELL monitor. and 2 1080p monitors. The third is an old monitor that I newly connected to my PC, but I usually leave it off/unconnected because its above my desk and a pain to use.
I have cleaned out the PSU with the can of air. Completely removed it from the case and got the vent and fan.

The PSU and my GPU both have a feature where the fans don't spin until they're "needed". But I can turn it upside down to see if they spin while I notice it being so seemingly hot.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Found two ways:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1979530/corsair-rm750-fan-spinning.html#20644440 (Modding)

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1979530/corsair-rm750-fan-spinning.html#16561411 (Software + Cable)
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=126327
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Power-Supplies/CORSAIR-Link-Analog-to-Digital-Bridge-Cable-for-RM-Series%E2%84%A2-PSU/p/CP-8920119#

Edit: You could also put a case fan on top of it. You may need to rotate PSU if your case has vents under it.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

Ah so the whole Corsair Link thing.

Guess I'll keep my options open for now. I don't want to tamper or modify the PSU itself.

What are your opinions on Corsair's line of fans? Especially the new ones they made.
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/LED-Color/Fan-Size/Package-Quantity/ml-pro-config/p/CO-9050040-WW

Is it safe to say there is no real issue with my PSU? My PC never shuts itself off unexpected.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Is it safe to say there is no real issue with my PSU? My PC never shuts itself off unexpected.
I researched the RM series. It seems the fans are notorious for not turning on when needed. I recommend putting a cheap case fan on top to just blow some air inside it. But other than that, it's working fine. Just that the heat worries me.
What are your opinions on Corsair's line of fans? Especially the new ones they made.
Flow Type = Static Pressure
Sound Level = 37 dBA
They are made for heatsinks/radiators and should be relatively loud. If you want case fans, you should have better and cheaper options. Example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014

So I should turn my PSU so the intake fan is facing upwards, and then find a way to put a case fan on it? It doesn't have a flat surface where the fan is on it.

I can also RMA the PSU if need be. I already had the okay from Support from an issue I thought was the PSU (but was actually/maybe a case fan I had).

I can maybe ask them for a different series 750 watt that is similar price.

How do I check my maximum Wattage used, considering my monitors etc.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
So I should turn my PSU so the intake fan is facing upwards, and then find a way to put a case fan on it? It doesn't have a flat surface where the fan is on it.
If the fan didn't turn on, I would have plastic taped a cheap fan on top it after turning it over.
I can also RMA the PSU if need be. I already had the okay from Support from an issue I thought was the PSU (but was actually/maybe a case fan I had).
You could buy the Corsair link adapter instead. Buying a new one for your next build would be better.
How do I check my maximum Wattage used, considering my monitors etc.
Monitors don't take much power from GPU, they have their own power cables for that. There are two ways two find out power usage:
1. Buy a "Kill A Watt". Costs around 10$+.

2. Guess max load by CPU+GPU+100W. In your case, 175(OC)+275(OC)+100=550W at everything max usage.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/181020/asus-gtx980ti-6144-150618-2

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Yes, RAMs, Mobo, HDDs, SSDs, Fans, LEDs, etc. Each uses around 5W but it can fluctuate between 2-10W. USB connection use power too.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
So a day or two now I have had the fan upside up. The fan hasn't spun once.
I've had a game going for awhile, and nothing.

The webpage mentions the fan won't go on low to medium load. Not sure how to tell exactly how much my system is being taxed.

JerrWolf

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2014
Another update.
Still haven't noticed the fan spin once. I've even had 3 games open at once to tax the system.

I'm going to turn the fan around again. And if the PSU feels really hot like it was before. I'll probably just contact Corsair Support. I still have complete warranty.