News Hot-Swap M.2 NVMe SSDs With Icy Dock's Latest Gadget

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've never trusted hot swap tech. only seen heartache from such things.

i'm sure enterprise level tech (read real expensive) does it fine, but consumer type hot swap tech i have seen has only ever lead to lost data if you're lucky and dead drives if you're not.

i like the idea but would not trust using the hot swap feature at all.

Reactions: cyrusfox
I though PCIe Hot Swap was something that had to be supported on the motherboard level? Only see one motherboard that Linus tested with hot swap. Didn't see to be 100% all the time either depending on what you put in.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
I though PCIe Hot Swap was something that had to be supported on the motherboard level? Only see one motherboard that Linus tested with hot swap. Didn't see to be 100% all the time either depending on what you put in.

If the product is hot-swap then the card maker added the functionality to the card itself , remember that you dont hotswap the slot here .. the card is still plugged , you hotswap the M2 on it only.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
cause external drives and thmb drives are too much of a hassle? other than for folks to extend their e-peen with, it does not fill a need and would be more expensive than the other options.

maybe in the future when prices come down and capacity goes up, but for now hot swap is something we don't really need.

heck my case came with front hot swap capability. it can handle 2 drives of either 2.5 or 3.5". was not a selling point and the first thing i did was to remove the board behind it and forget it was ever there!!