[SOLVED] Hot-swapping with different hard drive model and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2020
Hi! I have a 12-bay NAS Storage (12TB Ironwolf Seagate 7400rpm) RAID 5.

Question #1:
1 drive is failing is it possible to replace it with 12TB Western Digital 5400rpm?

Question #2:
I have a no knowledge in hot-swapping. I have QNAP TVS-1282T3. I really cant find a step-by-step how to hot-swap. Any help? Accdg. to Qnap support, no need to turn off the system and just remove the faulty drive and replace a new one. But I read some old article that I have to "degraded mode" first the QNAP. Problem is there is no degraded mode.

update Question #3
I do monthly scrubbing too. Is it bad?

PS. Qnap support is not helping me. T_T

update 1: I dont have UPS for my NAS. Maybe its 1 of the reason why 1 drive is failing? Probably because of electric fluctuation? Its been a year too.

Thank you!

ps. for all the comments from admin/veterans thank you so much! much love from Philippines!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2020
Why on Earth would you even think you could replace an enterprise rated drive with one specifically not rated for such use? And, one that runs considerably slower at that?
I know right?! Because here in our country 12TB drives especially the rated drives are hard to find. You can buy them but order basis (2-3months). FYI, my NAS and the hard drives came from another country. :(

Im just scared if another hard drive will fail then i have to say bye bye to my files.

I just want to know if its ok replacing with a different model and slow rpm just for awhile until I find a same model/specs drive.

sorry for bad english

update: qnap support told me its ok to replace it with a diff model and slow rpm.

USAFRet

Titan
While a QNAP will hotswap within a RAID 5, it is STRONGLY advisable to have a full backup of all data.

How many drives are in this, and how much is the total consumed space?

Swapping a new drive will stress ALL drives for several hours.
Since one of your originals has died, another of that same original buy may be on its last legs. And this RAID 5 rebuild WILL put extra stress on them.
This rebuild will take several hours, possibly even days.

This is one of the reasons RAID 5 has gone out of favor for drives over 4TB.

Reactions: tcs.qnap
Mar 16, 2020
While a QNAP will hotswap within a RAID 5, it is STRONGLY advisable to have a full backup of all data.

How many drives are in this, and how much is the total consumed space?

Swapping a new drive will stress ALL drives for several hours.
Since one of your originals has died, another of that same original buy may be on its last legs. And this RAID 5 rebuild WILL put extra stress on them.
This rebuild will take several hours, possibly even days.

This is one of the reasons RAID 5 has gone out of favor for drives over 4TB.
Thank you Sir for the infos! I got 8x 12TB drives with a total of 75TB if im not mistaken.

Mar 16, 2020
I gather you cannot take advantage of the drives 3yr warranty due to them being out of the country then?
oh yeah, ill take note on that. hopefully after this virus i can work on that. but as for the moment i just need to backup my files first. thank you!

1 more reason is i dont have good UPS for my NAS. It is straight on the outlet.

USAFRet

Titan
When I swapped the 4x 3TB in my QNAP for 4x 4TB, I simply powered down, took one out, and replaced it with the new larger one.
Not much different than replacing your dead one.

The system rebuilt the RAID 5 to include this new drive.

Not "hot swap" but rather power OFF and swap.

Approx 6TB data took 7-8 hours to rebuild the array.
Of course, I had a full backup of all data, just in case things went bad.
I just wanted to test the rebuilding thing and see how it worked.

Yours, at more than 10x that data size, will take a long, long time. And if one drive dies in that process, all data is lost.

Reactions: tcs.qnap
Status
Not open for further replies.