Hot temps for i7 3770K

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hi guys, I'm noticed, while running Prime95 my i7 3770k got all the way up to 95-ish degrees and core temp notified me that the cores were hot. Should I be concerned? what are the normal temps i should be getting while running Prime95? My system is small (a shuttle z77r5) so it might be a tad hotter.

InvalidError

Titan
80-85C with Intel stock cooler in a standard case running Prime95 would be normal.

In a SFF, things would naturally get somewhat worse. You might want to re-test running "normal" programs instead of Prime95 to see how things turn out under normal load instead of burn-in test... unless you built that PC for Prime95.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That is too hot, yes. I think your small case is trapping heat and not letting the heat sync cool. (Assuming the heat sync was installed correctly) If you intend on stressing the processor like that in normal use, I'd think about a better case or more cooling. If it is just for HTPC use, you'll never stress it any where near what Prime95 does.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

yeah I'm going to use my PC for some gaming but not really any other cpu stressing programs. Gaming doesn't stress the cpu, only the gpu though.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Yeah when i normally use my cpu all temps are below 65 but i haven;'t started gaming on the computer. However I don't expect the cpu to heat up to 90-ish degrees when gaming though. So i should be ok right?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Modern games aren't all GPU intensive. Some are CPU intensive, too. If you are going to be using the HTPC for gaming, I'd get that hi-temp problem remidied first. Double check that the push pins are opened correctly behind the motherboard and that the cooler's 4 posts are sitting flush to the motherboard. If the base of the heat sync isn't sitting tight to the CPU, heat transfer will suffer.

Graphite946

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

Normal use, IE internet browsing, playing pandora, looking at brazzers...my CPU never goes north of 40c with my fan controller on low.

When I game, OC'd to 4.5, and voltage at 1.27, it will touch 65c with the fan controller full on. (MB controlled..)

3570k with hyper 212. Room temp is around 25c

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Will I have to redo the thermal paste if i Do find an issue and have to remove the heatsink? Also, Which Thermal compound should i use to get max preformance? Please list some.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Oh yeah also I have seen many different ways of appling the paste and i was wondering what is the best method. I used the Vertical line method that Artic silver recommends and i used their AS5 paste

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

For AS5, use their recommendations: http://www.arcticsilver.com/intel_application_method.html#

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Ok guys, 4 questions. I have Found that two of my push pins on my cooler are a little bit higher than the other two. I am going to have to pull those out and push them back in. Question #1 Can I do this while appling pressure to the heatsink (down) to keep from having to reapply the thermal componud? If so will the pressure damage the cpu? Also,, what do you guys think would be acceptable temps after i do this? (IE normal temps for the 3770K at stock) And finally, how many degrees (C) do you guys think my temps will drop? Thanks.

InvalidError

Titan

The main reason for re-applying is to avoid trapping bubbles when re-attaching a HSF. As long as the CPU did not detach from the HSF, air should not be getting in-between and you should be ok.

As far as damaging the CPU goes, you would probably crack your motherboard before you manage to damage the CPU since pressure you apply to the HSF is transferred to the IHS which spreads pressure across a large chunk of the LGA socket which is backed by the CPU socket retention plate on the back-side which prevents flex around the immediate CPU area.

Temperature-wise, you can expect 80-85C with Prime95 on stock HSF. If you want to run CPU-intensive stuff like that continuously, you should consider upgrading to some sort of half-decent aftermarket cooling. With the 212EVO, you could expect 65-75C.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

So i can go ahead and fix it without making other issues? i'm using the Shuttle ICE heatpipe cooler. Nothing else will fix in my shuttle.

InvalidError

Titan

Considering that the XPC has a custom HSF contraption, there isn't much that can be done about it.

If you are 100% certain that the heatsink base is correctly secured and the radiator end of the heatpipes is not applying torque to the plate which might be causing the plate to sit askew on top of the CPU, the only thing left would be switching to a more conventional case to allow more conventional cooling options.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I DID remember that when following arctic silver's instructions on how to tint the heatsink, i forgot to wipe off excess paste (basically i made a layer of AS5 on the heatsink as well as use the vertical line method for the cpu) Could the increased amount of thermal compund the root of my problems instead of the heatsink mounting?

InvalidError

Titan

If there is sufficient contact force, most of the excess should get squeezed out and this should be largely a non-issue apart for the mess it might leave behind.

david_12

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Yeah my heatsink is very light. It doesn't put much pressure on the cpu