Every time I boot, I get a message from Microsoft, in a bright red box,
telling me:

Warning: Hotbar Adware is trying to install." I check "remove" and it tells
me: "one or more components from your Spam Blocker Utililty is disabled or
missing. Doyou want to fix the missing or disabled components?"

I say "yes," and, presumably, it fixes everything. It then says to run
spyware, which I do.

BUT -- the next time I boot, it does it again.

CathStro wrote:
> Every time I boot, I get a message from Microsoft, in a bright red
> box, telling me:
>
> Warning: Hotbar Adware is trying to install." I check "remove" and it
> tells me: "one or more components from your Spam Blocker Utililty is
> disabled or missing. Doyou want to fix the missing or disabled
> components?"
>
> I say "yes," and, presumably, it fixes everything. It then says to run
> spyware, which I do.
>
> BUT -- the next time I boot, it does it again.

Run several other Antispyware applications and remember MSAS is BETA.

I suggest using all of these..
Lavasoft AdAware (Free and up)
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdn )

Spybot Search and Destroy (Free!)
http://www.safer-networking.net/en/download/index.html
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/atdk )

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner (Free!)
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/
(How-to: http://snipurl.com/ate3 )

SpywareBlaster (Free!)
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html