Hotel Wireless Help

JaxAttack

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I am staying at a hotel with wireless only. I was able to connect my router by plugging the ethernet into the computer and the router and create a "hardwired" bridged connection from which point I was able to plug in other wired devices. All of a sudden this stopped working. I have searched and searched for answers and am just getting more frustrated. I did not change any settings and now have a different computer. I don't know if this is it or the hotel somehow figured it out because they don't support routers so they can charge you for each device. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I did try a travel router but the connectivity was horrible and my calls, my main purpose is to hook up my BasicTalk box, were horrid which does not bode well when the bosses listen.

bazzarooney

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
my best gues would be port security on the hotels switch, port security will shut the switchport down if it detects more than 5 mac addresses on the same port. If you're going to use the hotels wired connection always make sure your router is set to router mode. that way only 1 mac address is advertised out of the port. This also has the added bonus of adding a firewall between you and the other guests but does add a tiny bit more latency.

JaxAttack

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Thank you. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't have a wired connection. Can they see any MAC address I've used even if all of the devices are no longer here? I had the computer I owned when I got here which lived out its life. A borrowed one I used and one I lease until I could afford this one. Plus my phone, so that's definitely five. I'm tech savvy only to a point :)