Hotkeys in TR1?

I've encounteered a situation in TR1 where I want to use a medpack
QUICKLY.

In TR2 there are hotkeys (8 for Small medipack and 9 for a full
medipack) which can be used "on the run". I've tried both of these in
TR1, neither works. I've tried F8 and F9 but they don't work either.

There was no .pdf manual on-disk (either TR1 or TRUB) so it's not a
case of RTFM.

Are there any hotkeys for this which have been disabled by running
through Glidos, perhaps, or have I missed something else?

We used to be able to swap weapons by hotkeying in TR2 as well. Even
though in TR1 we only have the basic infinite repeater pistols and the
shotgun so far, I haven't been able to swap between them either,
without going through the menu ring, so if there are any weapons
hotkeys for TR1 I'd like a list of those, too, please.

..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Miowarra Tomokatu was heard,
at about 04/20/2005 02:07 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...
> I've encounteered a situation in TR1 where I want to use a medpack
> QUICKLY.
>
> In TR2 there are hotkeys (8 for Small medipack and 9 for a full
> medipack) which can be used "on the run". I've tried both of these in
> TR1, neither works. I've tried F8 and F9 but they don't work either.

I'm not sure why you'd need that. When you go to the menu ring, time
freezes (in the game at least). So you can take your sweet time
selecting the medi-pack and nothing will happen to you ... uh, Lara ...
in the mean time.

> There was no .pdf manual on-disk (either TR1 or TRUB) so it's not a
> case of RTFM.

It said it had one ... hmmm .... now that you mention it though when I
compared the 1st disk to mine, it was almost exact. And there is no
manual on the original TR1 disc.

Did you check the TRUB disc. I image there would have been quite a bit
more free space on it for them to put the manual. I never checked it
because I don't have one. I downloaded UB a *long* time ago when it was
free and could still be found.

> Are there any hotkeys for this which have been disabled by running
> through Glidos, perhaps, or have I missed something else?

I'm pretty sure GliDOS doesn't hide any keys. I would have noticed
having replayed TR1 at least three times using ... at least none that I
missed. :)

> We used to be able to swap weapons by hotkeying in TR2 as well. Even
> though in TR1 we only have the basic infinite repeater pistols and the
> shotgun so far, I haven't been able to swap between them either,
> without going through the menu ring, so if there are any weapons
> hotkeys for TR1 I'd like a list of those, too, please.

Just in case you didn't get a manual ... checking ...

Nope no weapons keys except Spacebar = Draw/Holster weapon

The original list is ...

up = forward
down = backward
right = right
left = left
end = roll
Spacebar = draw/holster
Alt = Jump
Ctrl = Action (fire, pickup, open door, etc)
Ins (keypad) = look (can use arrow keys in this mode to look around)
Delete = side step left
shift = walk (when used with arrow keys, i.e. held down)
page down = side step right
Escape = menu ring (also quits FMV)
F1 = low to high res
F2 = decrease display size
F3 = increase display size (PW - altho not much reason for these 2)
F4 = Adjust details level
F5 = save game
F6 = load game

Be careful with those last two. When in a hurry, its easy to save when
you mean load. Caused an number of unintentional level replays for me.

You can remap these keys from the menu ring.

"Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
> I've encounteered a situation in TR1 where I want to use a medpack
> QUICKLY.
>
> In TR2 there are hotkeys (8 for Small medipack and 9 for a full
> medipack) which can be used "on the run". I've tried both of these in
> TR1, neither works. I've tried F8 and F9 but they don't work either.
>
> There was no .pdf manual on-disk (either TR1 or TRUB) so it's not a
> case of RTFM.
>
> Are there any hotkeys for this which have been disabled by running
> through Glidos, perhaps, or have I missed something else?
>
> We used to be able to swap weapons by hotkeying in TR2 as well. Even
> though in TR1 we only have the basic infinite repeater pistols and the
> shotgun so far, I haven't been able to swap between them either,
> without going through the menu ring, so if there are any weapons
> hotkeys for TR1 I'd like a list of those, too, please.
>
> .
> .
> "When in danger or in doubt,
> Run in circles, scream and shout"
> .
> It's not just a management tool,
> It's a philosophy for living!!
> .

As far as I can remember and look up this morning, in TR1 you have to
use the Ring Menus. Fortunately, hitting ESC will pause the game and
bring up the Ring menus. The emphasis here is that it pauses the game.
It was the lack of such things as this quick item selection that
prompted the changes we have in TR2. Some of us were in here by this
time and were all excited about this 'new' feature :) We were
disappointed that there would be no 'repair' to TR1 to facilitate this
from Core.

McG.

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, McGrandpa mentioned

>As far as I can remember and look up this morning, in TR1 you have to
>use the Ring Menus. Fortunately, hitting ESC will pause the game and
>bring up the Ring menus. The emphasis here is that it pauses the game.
>It was the lack of such things as this quick item selection that
>prompted the changes we have in TR2. Some of us were in here by this
>time and were all excited about this 'new' feature :) We were
>disappointed that there would be no 'repair' to TR1 to facilitate this
>from Core.
>
>McG.

Thank you both for your speedy responses, yes, there was no manual
either in .pdf nor any other form, on the TRUB CD, only the various
driver-specific READ.MEs in the folders.

Aside: "Damn! and blast!!" Even though the ESC key freezes the action
and permits saving and selecting, there's a certain inevitable break
in concentration and flow during the course of an action sequence
which was what I was hoping to avoid. Ah well, I guess I shan't go
back and replay the Larsen end-sequence at the end of Vilcabamba in
the hope of getting a better result. I hate to use a medkit JUST
before an end sequence when I know Lara's health will be restored
completely and if I could have kept up the flow while changing to
shotgun, I might have just made it.
..
..

> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
> world domination, McGrandpa mentioned
>
>> As far as I can remember and look up this morning, in TR1 you have to
>> use the Ring Menus. Fortunately, hitting ESC will pause the game and
>> bring up the Ring menus. The emphasis here is that it pauses the
>> game. It was the lack of such things as this quick item selection
>> that prompted the changes we have in TR2. Some of us were in here
>> by this time and were all excited about this 'new' feature :) We
>> were disappointed that there would be no 'repair' to TR1 to
>> facilitate this from Core.
>>
>> McG.
>>

> Thank you both for your speedy responses, yes, there was no manual
> either in .pdf nor any other form, on the TRUB CD, only the various
> driver-specific READ.MEs in the folders.
>
> Aside: "Damn! and blast!!" Even though the ESC key freezes the action
> and permits saving and selecting, there's a certain inevitable break
> in concentration and flow during the course of an action sequence
> which was what I was hoping to avoid. Ah well, I guess I shan't go
> back and replay the Larsen end-sequence at the end of Vilcabamba in
> the hope of getting a better result. I hate to use a medkit JUST
> before an end sequence when I know Lara's health will be restored
> completely and if I could have kept up the flow while changing to
> shotgun, I might have just made it.

I think most of us, certainly me, share your pain in that place :) The
very first time I did that scene I was confused, it began so quickly!
While I watched the Larson/Lara 'interlude', I realized what had
happened :) I had just wasted a large med pack :) Ah, so what, it IS a
game!
McG.

> .
> .
> "When in danger or in doubt,
> Run in circles, scream and shout"
> .
> It's not just a management tool,
> It's a philosophy for living!!
> .

I'm sure when I played TR1 that 1-4 corresponded with the weapons keys.

however I bought the original release, not a version that's been put
out subsequently. besides I'm playing them on the playstation now...

- rob