[SOLVED] hotspot as router

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Hi all
I was already using a cellular router and I now want to use my mobile phones hotspot as my router instead
From what I have gathered so far... it seems to me that by passwording it and using the same security ie: WPA2 PSK it will work just as well for a home network as a router and be just as secure
The only thing I dont think I would be able to do is hide my connection? (even if hiding my connection provides any advantages?)
Can anyone please give further advice on this, or tell me if I am wrong?
Thanks
legepe

Last edited:
Solution
Nope the standard WPA2 that all wifi runs. This is both to prevent someone from listening in and to prevent someone from actually using your internet connection. This encryption is considered unbreakable with proper passwords.

VPN is would more be used if you were using a public wifi connection that had no encryption. The need for VPN is much less than it used to be. Almost all traffic is secured by HTTPS so nobody can see or change the traffic between you and the server. VPN now days is more used to bypass some restrictions like watching netflix in other countries or sometimes doing illegal activities like sharing movies or games.
Hiding the connection does not really hide it from someone who has even minimal ability to hack. With a good password it does not matter.
One of the large issues with using a phone as a hotspot is many get rather hot when running for long times. It is said to cut the life of the phone.

Be careful the ISP tethered/hotspot plans are different from the ones the use on cell router. Read the fine print so you do not get unexpected charges.

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Hiding the connection does not really hide it from someone who has even minimal ability to hack. With a good password it does not matter.
One of the large issues with using a phone as a hotspot is many get rather hot when running for long times. It is said to cut the life of the phone.

Be careful the ISP tethered/hotspot plans are different from the ones the use on cell router. Read the fine print so you do not get unexpected charges.
Appart from these issues is it less secure than a cellular router?

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Like is more secure because it is a simpler devices and does not support extra stuff like port forwarding. Likely the largest difference is many routers support WPS which is massive security exposure. I don't know any hotpot that have the WPS feature.
Ok thanks for info... so if I understand this correctly and to round this up.. Im more secure using a mobile phone as my router because it does not have port forwading and it wont have WPS feature, so if I can live with the downsides you previously mentioned then a phone is a better choice vs router for security, and i would be wasting money on buying a new router (not sure what you meant with like/likely but I get your general explanation)

Last edited:

legepe

Prominent
Apr 26, 2020
Until I can decide by what means I will be connecting to the internet in the long term
Do you know of any other ways or apps that can beef up the security either on phone or pc?
Basically make it as difficult as possible for hacker to gain access!

Wifi encryption is considered unhackable when you use good passwords. Make sure the WPS function is turned off.
Hackers really don't care much about home users wifi nothing to steal that make the effort worth it. Most so called hacking is done by the neighbor kid whose parents have blocked his internet access so he tries to use the neighbors.

The vast majority of any risk comes form trying to trick you to run something you should not or visit some web page. The default virus/malware software stops a lot of it but it still requires not ignoring warnings.

Nope the standard WPA2 that all wifi runs. This is both to prevent someone from listening in and to prevent someone from actually using your internet connection. This encryption is considered unbreakable with proper passwords.

VPN is would more be used if you were using a public wifi connection that had no encryption. The need for VPN is much less than it used to be. Almost all traffic is secured by HTTPS so nobody can see or change the traffic between you and the server. VPN now days is more used to bypass some restrictions like watching netflix in other countries or sometimes doing illegal activities like sharing movies or games.

Reactions: legepe
Solution