[SOLVED] Hotspot recommendation, home use.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello guys,

My mom lives in a home of a decent size and has trouble making her router's wifi reach all corners of her home. I've decided the best way to help her is to get 2 hotspots that'll be plugged into the router. Cable will be run between the router and hotspots.

Which budget hotspots would you recommend for a home like this? They don't need extreme range. If each of them have a "normal" range it will do.

If a hotspot would be the wrong solution I'm willing to listen to that as well.

Solution
You will have much better luck when you use the correct term. The better name for a wifi source connected via ethernet cable is "AP". You can buy actual AP if you really want but I suspect since you do not know what they are you do not need many of the special features.

Likely you best option is to buy a mid price router to function as a AP. Many of these devices have a setting that makes them run as AP rather than a router. Even if it doesn't pretty much any router can be used as a AP. It is trivial to setup just search how to use a router as a AP.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Preferred site wouldn't help you since I'm in a small country and none of the known sites would help you. Ill sort out the pricing.

For now im looking for something under $400 for the whole project, that should be possible and I suspect it can be done a lot cheaper.

The router is, generic crap to be honest. I think it's a Sagemcom F@ST 5345, but it has been stripped of all identifying text and stickers. It came with the net, they have dsl. It has 4 rj45 ports though. That's why I wanted a cabled hotspot, they don't mind pulling the cable. Can extenders run cabled?

2x 60ft radius I think.

Last edited:
You will have much better luck when you use the correct term. The better name for a wifi source connected via ethernet cable is "AP". You can buy actual AP if you really want but I suspect since you do not know what they are you do not need many of the special features.

Likely you best option is to buy a mid price router to function as a AP. Many of these devices have a setting that makes them run as AP rather than a router. Even if it doesn't pretty much any router can be used as a AP. It is trivial to setup just search how to use a router as a AP.

Solution

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I'm thinking something like:
1x Zyxel ARMOR X1 for the hotspot.
A new router with a better antenna,

Sorry, but im gonna be honest here. Your comment is presumptuous.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding using a router as a hotspot, refrain from sharing your guesswork regarding what I know and don't know.

I used the term hotspot exactly because I know it is the correct terminology, maybe not as precise as 'access point' is but when I made the thread I wasn't certain about what I wanted. Hence the thread.

Last edited: