Question Hou much Watts do I need? Efficiency certification?

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
Hello,

I have several questions to you and the first one would be how many Watts do I need for my system and how do I calculate it without using the help of the websites which automatically tell you how much you need (like from OuterVision).
Here is my system:
I5-8500
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Master
GTX 1660Ti
be quiet! Pure Power L7 530W (current PSU)
3x120mm RGB fans

The second question part would be:
Does "Load Wattage" mean how much Wattage my system is consuming/needs?
What does "Recommended UPS rating" mean?
Does "Recommended PSU Wattage" mean the minimum amount of Wattage my PSU should have?

I all ask you this because I have trouble right now with my PSU, well I am not quiet sure if it is because of low Wattage, low quality or due to it's oldness but the thing is that my PC sometimes randomly shuts down (not in specific application, it just happens sometimes whenever the PC wants to but yes out of the most times it shut down when I was playing games so basically under load).

And the third and last question is what things like 80 PLUS Bronze , 80 PLUS Silver and up to Titanium mean. As far as I understood: The better the certification, the less power consumption is unnecessary taken by the "wall".
Example:

I chekced how much "Load Wattage" my system consumes (if Load Wattage is the power consemption of your system) and it says it takes 351W. I am currently planning to buy the Corsair RM650i PSU and it has a 80 Plus Gold certification. I then read an article about PSU efficiency and it told me you can allegedly calculate the load in percent so basically how much the PSU is "working" by dividing the Wattage of the PSU (case 650) by 100 and then multiplying by the value of how much Wattage the system consumes (in the case 351). In my case, the load on my power supply was 54%. I had to first calculate how much load on my power supply is because the efficiency of the PSUs depend on their loads. So after doing that I found out that 50% loaded PSUs (mine was 54) have the efficiency of 90% (at least for 80 Plus Gold certifications).
And now I could calculate how much Wattage my PSU is consuming and what I had to do was:

"Load Wattage" (351)/Efficiency depending on which certification and load on PSU (0,9) = 390W

So is that right? With this PSU I would consume 390W and my system needs only 351W so basically 39W are wasted and are turning into heat? I am sorry to make it so complicate I just wasn't researching about PSUs that much compared to other stuff and I want to get a better understanding.

Hope you can give me some advice.

and I got 54%.

First, I think a quality PSU at 550 watts or above should work well in that system.

"I am currently planning to buy the Corsair RM650i PSU "
I think this is a great choice. I am running two RMx series right now.

"Does "Load Wattage" mean how much Wattage my system is consuming/needs? "
In general....yes.

"What does "Recommended UPS rating" mean? "
The size of the Uninterruptable Power Supply that's recommended if you decide to use one.

"And the third and last question is what things like 80 PLUS Bronze , 80 PLUS Silver and up to Titanium mean. "

Efficiency. The higher the efficiency....the less energy is expended as heat.
This explains it.

"With this PSU I would consume 390W and my system needs only 351W so basically 39W are wasted and are turning into heat? "

Yes....which is why they have fans.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
You described power supply efficiency pretty well. That's exactly how it works, of the 351W your system requires, a 90% efficient PSU would waste 39W as you are "pulling" 390W from the wall.

I think you have everything figured out. The RM650i is a good PSU.

TRENDING THREADS