Housemate is capping speed, any adivce?

Rigged089

Reputable
Sep 4, 2016
Hey there,

We've just moved into a new house share. I found out one of the housemates has changed the admin password on the router and is restricting the use of it for everyone else, by his own admission. I'm fortunate enough to have access to the router via a powerline adapter on my pc but the wireless electronics in our room have disgusting download speeds.

The situation is our room is 2 floors above the router, so it could be a case of signal. However there a periods where the wireless is actually quite strong, so I'm not too sure yet.

What I want to do is get onto the router settings without this dbag knowing, he rarely makes an appearance so I'd rather get my hands dirty before confronting him about it so I can check what's going on. Problem is, he has changed the admin password.

I'm competent enough to follow any technical guides if you can link me. Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Solution
All you could do is factory reset the router. He will know somebody has "tampered" with it since you won't be able to restore the unknown password.
That is the only advice we can give you, since assisting bypassing of passwords is prohibited on this site.

You have a political problem, not a technical one.

If you have a powerline connection to the router, add a WIFI access point (with your own private WIFI password). Your (and your designee's) will have the same access as your wired device.

USAFRet

Titan
This is a social issue rather than a technical issue.

You cannot unilaterally change the router settings. Just like are pissed off that he has done this, so would everyone else if you did the same.

Assuming you are all paying equally for this internet access, time for a house meeting.
Agree on terms, and everyone gets the router password. And the router gets moved to a common space, where everyone can access it.

And if none of that works, someone may need to be voted off the island.

kanewolf

Titan
All you could do is factory reset the router. He will know somebody has "tampered" with it since you won't be able to restore the unknown password.
That is the only advice we can give you, since assisting bypassing of passwords is prohibited on this site.

You have a political problem, not a technical one.

If you have a powerline connection to the router, add a WIFI access point (with your own private WIFI password). Your (and your designee's) will have the same access as your wired device.

Solution