Houses/dorms in University town

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

I did something stupid in University-town.. ;P I spent three hours building
a beautiful dorm, or rather what I thought was a dorm, but when I finished,
I realised that when I started it and zoned the land for it as a big lot, I
made it a normal plot for rent, not for a dorm. Now my student-sims can't
move in because the game sees it as a normal house and the rent is $30,000
... ahem.
I packaged the lot into a file and didn't do anything else. How can I save
it and make it into the dorm I want it to be? :(

Thank you.

Irene

x-posted

Archived from groups: alt.games.the-sims,alt.games.the-sims-2 (More info?)

OK - you can't build dorms straight anyway. You build them on residential
lots and then use the cheat:

changelotzoning dorm

which will change it into a dorm lot for you.

BUT Before you do that though ...

Don't forget to include:

- The proper dorm doors for the student's bedrooms (you will get as many
students in the hall as doors you put in). You can't have double rooms
(unless, maybe, you're playing the sims themselves in that room - even then
I don't think it would work properly) and only one door per room.

In the kitchen/dining area
- Shineytyme Cooktop
- Counter Islands
- Dishwasher or Sink (same room as cooktop)
- Rubbish bin (Garbage can) or waste disposal
- Sprinkler

You need the cooktop and counter islands in order to get the NPC to come and
do the cooking. I'm not sure if you need the rest for this to work but
you'd probably include them anyway.

Don't forget a Phone
and I think you need some lights too.

Make sure you get everything as you want it before you change the lot into a
dorm because you can't do anything other than decorate once a dorm is zoned.

Best wishes
Maxon

> OK - you can't build dorms straight anyway. You build them on residential
> lots and then use the cheat:
<clip>

> Don't forget a Phone
> and I think you need some lights too.
>
> Make sure you get everything as you want it before you change the lot into
> dorm because you can't do anything other than decorate once a dorm is
> zoned.

boolProp dormSpecificToolsDisabled false

Should turn on all building tools. You may have to click onto decorate then
back to building to activate the switch though.

Granny.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the changelotzoning
residential didn't did it?

Best wishes
Maxon

> Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
> changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the
> changelotzoning
> residential didn't did it?

I have never tried it! 8)))
I still can;t get the building for dorms to work in my cheat file. Never
mind. It is no big deal to type it in< grumble-grumble>

This is the first time I have run the university expansion proper, and,
well, yes. Now I have found out I can grab new jobs without sending them
away. Huh! Me with a batch of young adults in that desert place.
What AWFUL faculty type buildings! Barns of places with a chair in one
corner and a bookcase in the other? I feel quite sorry for my Sims.

I would rusticate the lot of them only one is Mr Jone's lovely son and
another one is Lisa Simpson - she hates it. Can;t make friends and is being
stalked by a moose, or something equally awful, with a peculiar fondness for
water bombs.

Granny.

Granny Grumpling wrote:

>>Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
>>changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the
>>changelotzoning
>>residential didn't did it?
>

> I have never tried it! 8)))
> I still can;t get the building for dorms to work in my cheat file. Never
> mind. It is no big deal to type it in< grumble-grumble>
>
> This is the first time I have run the university expansion proper, and,
> well, yes. Now I have found out I can grab new jobs without sending them
> away. Huh! Me with a batch of young adults in that desert place.
> What AWFUL faculty type buildings! Barns of places with a chair in one
> corner and a bookcase in the other? I feel quite sorry for my Sims.
>
> I would rusticate the lot of them only one is Mr Jone's lovely son and
> another one is Lisa Simpson - she hates it. Can;t make friends and is being
> stalked by a moose, or something equally awful, with a peculiar fondness for
> water bombs.
>
> Granny.
>
> Hi

I always use the cheat and modify my dorms, they end up looking quite
cosy once I've finished...
I dont like the ready made ones either, I have made a few entirely from
scratch, now I have got the hang of it with the lot zoning cheat..

Just off to convert a normal house into a dorm, dont feel like starting
from scratch as I have re-installed the Sims and University, and lost
all my downloads, and recolours...

Take care
Julia

> Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that as I tend not to use it. Does the
> changelotzoning dorm cheat work for you Granny? Because the
> changelotzoning
> residential didn't did it?

More and anon....
I changed a residential to community just now -Mudgett's Castle became
Mudgett's Department Store.
Plot showed up on map as community, telephone and all. Sent the Simpsons out
to test drive it and a good time was had by all - until they needed to come
home.
The telephone that showed up in the neighbourhood view had turned into a
post box. 8(

Fortunately the store has an electrical small goods department else they
would be there yet. (or boolprop 'em.)
Interesting to see Bart whooping and cheering outside dual-occupied changing
booth. I thought he would cringe.

Granny.

"Julia" <juliacarey37@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> What AWFUL faculty type buildings! Barns of places with a chair in one
>> corner and a bookcase in the other? I feel quite sorry for my Sims.
>>
>> Hi
>
> I always use the cheat and modify my dorms, they end up looking quite cosy
> once I've finished...
> I dont like the ready made ones either, I have made a few entirely from
> scratch, now I have got the hang of it with the lot zoning cheat..

I was thinking more of the other buildings. Like you I always get cracking
on those dorms as soon as a Sim moves in.
The roof is dead handy.....

But the library and coffee shop. Bleak. 8(

> Just off to convert a normal house into a dorm, dont feel like starting
> from scratch as I have re-installed the Sims and University, and lost all
> my downloads, and recolours...

Don't worry, after the fifth or sixth reinstall you stop caring. 8(((
Rather, after the fourth or fifth reinstall you start saving every file you
can get your paws on, more like.

I have got, my bitmaps, Copy of the Sims bitmaps. Copy of the working
bitmaps and copy of the completed bitmaps and then a copy of the package.
It is at this point your hard drive fails.

Granny - always looking on the bright side and with a small mountain of
backup CDs.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 22:02:53 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Make sure you get everything as you want it before you change the lot into a
>dorm because you can't do anything other than decorate once a dorm is zoned.
>
>Best wishes
>Maxon

Once you've moved into a dorm, IF you think of something you forgot to
add to your dorm, you can get back into build mode by using the
following cheat:

boolprop dormspecifictoolsdisabled false

It will unlock the Full build and buy mode while in a dorm. Keep in
mind that if you are in build mode when you enter the cheat, you will
NOT See all your build options Until you select another option and
then select build mode Again!

That's my 2¢,

FTA

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

-Martin Luther King Jr.