Question How about replacing the plastic CPU-fan-fasteners with metal screws?

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
My CPU fan doesn't spin anymore. The CPU is Intel Core2 Quad. Its fan-fasteners are 4 screws with springs. Can't find it. There are fans for the same CPU on eBay. But the fan-fasteners are plastic with clip or tenon heads, the push in type.

I'm thinking to buy one of them and replace
the plastic fasteners with metal screws.

Is it practical or does it work?

How to remove the plastic fasteners?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
My CPU fan doesn't spin anymore. The CPU is Intel Core2 Quad.
Stock CPU fan? If so, get a cheap air cooler that has LGA775 support on it and call it a day. If the build you're on is a prebuilt, please pass on the make and model of the system and it's SKU or if it's a system built by you, please pass on the make and model of your motherboard and the cooler used.

Diano

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2014
My CPU fan doesn't spin anymore. The CPU is Intel Core2 Quad.
Stock CPU fan? If so, get a cheap air cooler that has LGA775 support on it and call it a day. If the build you're on is a prebuilt, please pass on the make and model of the system and it's SKU or if it's a system built by you, please pass on the make and model of your motherboard and the cooler used.

Thank you.

"Stock CPU fan?"
It is the CPU of Acer Aspire M5700, a 2008 product.
The CPU is the original CPU of this PC.

"If so, get a cheap air cooler that has LGA775 support on it"
Can not find one.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I would think that the screws with springs are securing your heat sink to the motherboard rather than the fan to the heatsink.

that's what i was thinking. you should be able to take the fan off and replace it. quick search says it is screwed into the back wall of the case. should be easy to remove and replace.

but if the heatsink has never been off the motherboard, i'd go ahead and apply some fresh thermal paste while in there. after 15 years it'll be pretty much in need and will thank you for it. :)

Reactions: BlaineB

BlaineB

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2014
that's what i was thinking. you should be able to take the fan off and replace it. quick search says it is screwed into the back wall of the case. should be easy to remove and replace.

but if the heatsink has never been off the motherboard, i'd go ahead and apply some fresh thermal paste while in there. after 15 years it'll be pretty much in need and will thank you for it. :)
Not necessarily. I have seen heatsinks where the screws secure the fan AND heatsink with the same fasteners. I have also seen heatsinks that secure the heatsink with screws and the fan is secured with clips to the heatsink. And then others where both the fan and heatsink have separate screws. In this case, a picture would speak a gazillion words 😁

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
sorry that's what i meant. i searched this pc model. no pic but found a couple forum posts saying it was screwed to the back wall of the case. so figure it's right :)

but oh yah i have seen so many odd heatsink/fan combos as well. the XPS 420 i had with a q6600 had the tower heatsink much larger than normal "stock" coolers. the fan was part of a large shroud that brought air in from the side panel and pushed it through the heatsink. rather different than normal but it did it's job.

TRENDING THREADS