How about this: What's the worst HDD manufacturer?

Treppiede

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Hi guys...
I already have my clear ideas on the best HDDs... IBM is #1, followed by Maxtor (in my opinion, of course).
Now, which one is the worst HDD that you ever had or worked with?
I personally don't trust Seagate, because I had two of them and they both died on me after few months... and I mean died-died. They were fast though...
I believe Conner used to be the best back then when a 486DX4 100MHz with 8Mb of FP RAM was a monster... that's exactly what I had 6-7 years ago, equipped with a HUGE 850Mb Conner HDD... DOOM II was flying... Remember those days?

let me know what you think guys.....

A television may insult your intelligence but nothing rubs it in
like a computer.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Seagate, WD.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Seagate still makes some realiable drives but they're slow. Quantum used to be the worst, followed by maxtor, but SURPRISE! Maxtors on top now! I got some Seagate drives that are 10 years old! But Surprise again! They lost their reliability edge!

Back to you Tom...

G

Quantum KX 13GB

I crashed 2, there're not compatible with Quantum Fireball Plus LM 15GB ATA-66

G

WD.
I will never use them again after what I have gone thru in the past. Privet data, clients data, acounting data.

G

Definetely WD , i've never had anything but bad experiences about them. My old 8gb Quantum Fireball has been very reliable, but it's not very fast though... For now, i will buy maxtor to replace it.

"Why the hell this won't work..." -Winterstorm

xrazorx

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2001
MAXTOR IS CRAP. Since the got Quantum, they've been better, of course. But you don't know which innards you are getting. Original Maxtor drives were good for literally about three years- then poof!

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, I have always thought Maxtor was a lot better then Quantum in reliability. I have five drives from Maxtor and I have no problems with reliability OR performance! I think if you are measuring products five years ago to the ones now maybe Maxtor would have sucked along with everyone else. But in today's world I think it's a tight race and every manufacture has something to show ...

How can you say that ever sense they got Quantum they've gotten better! They haven't been shipping the Quantum drives very long to even tell!!! They have only been shipping them within the last 6 months! The merger didn't complete until June, so not even 6 months!

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>

texun

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2001
In my experience....

Seagate: Tried one and it was DOA. Never tried another one.

Quantum: Had one OEM and it crapped out in two years. Installed a Maxtor.

Western Digital: Have had 6 and returned 3 for warranty within 18 months, but their warranty service was first rate.

Maxtor: Have had "A Bunch" and only one fail after almost 4 years. used their "no quibble" policy and they overnighted a replacement.

All of these have been your garden variety off the shelf EIDE drives used under normal conditions in the home. Not big on games.

R

Smoke is an indication you may have exceeded the design limits.

G

Definitely Fujitsu!!! They sucked.

There are two theories to arguing with women........neither of which work.

Lucol

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bet nobody has even heard of these. The JTS Paladium and Champion series. The slowest and most unreliable HD's I've ever seen, but they were extremely thin, about 1/2 inch, that's about it. 1.6Gb NEC's were horrible as well, they all went bad after about 3 months of use. I used to work at a computer reseller, and we got a box of the NEC's, and they all went bad after a few months of use.
Quantum Bigfoots....just awfull, 4200RPM and 5 1/4 inches wide, and unreliable, but not as much as the ones I mentioned above. Samsung HD's from a few years ago, slow, and unreliable.
Now for the best HD I've ever seen. A 540Mb Fujitsu SCSI. The thing sustained multiple drops, a beer being spilled on it while it was on, the cover being halfway on and missing all but 1 screw, and the thing still worked. It was unbelievable. We used to use take it everywhere to install software at our customers site, that's why it had taken so much abuse, but never failed.