Question how accurate are HDTune and CrystalDiskInfo?

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
My problem started when my daughter's computer randomly shutdown mid-game. When trying to turn back on, it was stuck on a screen that said "Scanning and repairing drive C:". No matter what I did over the next couple days, I couldn't get Windows to boot up. So I reinstalled.

I ran HDTune and CrystalDiskInfo. Both said the drive was perfect.

After about a week, I got a blue screen. Upon rebooting, I ran SFC /scannow. It found and fixed corrupted files.

Both of these things seem to point to a failing drive, right? But if that's the case, why don't any scans for errors find anything? Could it be something else?

thanks

scubaslim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
use the drive maker software to test it there could be bad sector on it so it might ned to be replace since when you hve this drive .

I did a full scan with Intel MAS. It didn't find anything wrong. It's an Intel 330, so the drive is fairly old, but up until this past month it was only used as storage.

Could these issues be something besides the drive?

USAFRet

Titan
HDTune and CDM checks are completely different than sfc /scannow.

1 is the physical drive, the other is the system files on the drive.

In either case, rely on neither to tell you when the drive or data will die.
Rely on a good backup routine for that.

My problem started when my daughter's computer randomly shutdown mid-game. When trying to turn back on, it was stuck on a screen that said "Scanning and repairing drive C:". No matter what I did over the next couple days, I couldn't get Windows to boot up. So I reinstalled.

I ran HDTune and CrystalDiskInfo. Both said the drive was perfect.

After about a week, I got a blue screen. Upon rebooting, I ran SFC /scannow. It found and fixed corrupted files.

Both of these things seem to point to a failing drive, right? But if that's the case, why don't any scans for errors find anything? Could it be something else?

thanks
' I ran SFC /scannow. It found and fixed corrupted files.'
'But if that's the case, why don't any scans for errors find anything?'

It did you said so in your post.

TRENDING THREADS