Question How accurate are the results from Speedtest.net?

medic5678

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
I have a horrible geographic location. Using T-mobile in a 4glte router. Just bought a 2 x 2 mimo antenna from Waveform. Speedtest.net shows less than 1.39 mb download, 1.17 upload. Yet I'm able to stream Youtube at 720 resolution without issues, while my wife uses LINE to make a video call to Thailand. It's hard for me to believe these test results are accurate.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Long as your stream does not exceed those speeds you will see no lag & video does not need to be fully cached to play. I would say SpeedTest is very accurate, though I am in a location between 3 ISP nodes, it selects the fastest one, and so should your ISP. No cable service ?

medic5678

Prominent
Jun 26, 2022
Long as your stream does not exceed those speeds you will see no lag & video does not need to be fully cached to play. I would say SpeedTest is very accurate, though I am in a location between 3 ISP nodes, it selects the fastest one, and so should your ISP. No cable service ?

Finally got it figured out. Don't run VPN on router, just on specific computers. So I'm consistently about 6 mbs on my cheap modem. I took the MOFI plunge ($500), getting speeds up to 40 mbs down. The Waveform 2 x 2 Mimo gives amazing results. This is as good an I can get here until there's a big technological change. The network is plenty fast enough. I can use a cheap service and get T-Mobile for $25 a month if I configure the modem properly to avoid slowdown. So I'll amortize the cost of the setup ($800) over a couple of years. I was paying Hughesnet $85 a moth for totally horrible satellite. Very happy to join the civilized world :).

You just need the correct routers to run vpn. Not sure about that one but it is not uncommon to get well under 20mbps vpn depending on the type of vpn.

There is a small handful of consumer routers that have a encryption accelerator. I know the asus rt-ac86u is one of them. It also has a very high clock rate which helps. You might get 200mbps with that router. There are a couple more that use the same cpu chip but I think it only works on asus. You used to need to load merlin firmware but I think the factory image has the encryption support now.

I have a horrible geographic location. Using T-mobile in a 4glte router. Just bought a 2 x 2 mimo antenna from Waveform. Speedtest.net shows less than 1.39 mb download, 1.17 upload. Yet I'm able to stream Youtube at 720 resolution without issues, while my wife uses LINE to make a video call to Thailand. It's hard for me to believe these test results are accurate.

lol. Let me sing the song of my people running 320x240 video over a 28.8kbps modem.

Yes, 1.39 mbps/1.17 mbps up is valid. If you right click on youtube and look at the "Stats for nerds" it will tell you the bitrate. As far as speedtest.net and fast.com goes, they typically test multi-stream. It isn't a test of single stream limits. This will become more prevalent if there are running something like a VPN, SPI, and DPI inspection on a stream.