How Amazon Uses its Cloud to Turbocharge the Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I love using Opera Mini on my N95 8GB. The downloading and rendering speed is unmatched.

But I don't know how I would feel about using this for secure connections. It's more for simple browsing. This makes me wonder if the hardware is not up to par if they have to render the pages through an external server.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
What about security? Better still, browser information, accounts, passwords, browsing behaviour... Everything you do on the device is being ran on a server somewhere else.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]According to every Tom's article, John Carmack has a comment or valuable input about every single topic written about technology on this site.[/citation]

Touche. I'm sick of his comments. He should focus on his games production instead of Twitter.

Yeah, I get it, the cloud is great and all. Now, can we please stop hearing "news" about it? My head hurts from blocking all these brainwashing attempts :)

I call BS on this whole thing. I don't want to buy a device that needs to run a part of its software somewhere else in order to function correctly...

According to Amazon, a typical web page requires 80 files served from 13 different domains.

That's because the web nowadays is plagued with ads, "Like"/"Share" buttons and so on.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rubix_1011[/nom]According to every Tom's article, John Carmack has a comment or valuable input about every single topic written about technology on this site.[/citation]
Why not, everyone in this forum has a comment or valuable input about every single topic written about technology on this site.

The difference is that he has actual acheived something in the world of technology.

Unless you are secretly Steve Wozniac or Linus Torvalds you are being a bit of a hypocrite.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
are you telling me that people aren't patient enough these days? 100ms...really.....i am sure that i can deal with the 100ms delay...the cloud has been hacked, damn i can't access my info...does anyone remember what happened to SONY...get ready amazon, your cloud is next

G

Amazon competitors will stop serving or delay those EC2 requests.

830hobbes

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]What about security? Better still, browser information, accounts, passwords, browsing behaviour... Everything you do on the device is being ran on a server somewhere else.[/citation]

Everything you do on the internet is being run through lots of servers anyway. This really just adds one fairly trusted company into the loop of many sites (trustworthy and sketchy) that track your browsing behavior. Wouldn't you take that risk for 5ms round trip instead of 100ms?

And to the people who say 100ms is not long to wait, reading the whole article might help shed some light: "Serving a web page requires hundreds of such round trips, only some of which can be done in parallel. In aggregate, this adds seconds to page load times."

Status
Not open for further replies.