[SOLVED] How (and whether) to migrate OS/Apps/settings to a new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
I am building a new system with a different motherboard and want to migrate my Win10Pro installation and apps (with settings) to it if possible. I have a lot of A/V tools and software with settings that are a nightmare to re-setup, so I was hoping to migrate everything. However, my understanding is that a new mobo and stale Windows installs do not mix...

I understand a fresh install is best, but I cringe at the work entailed by re-setting up all my apps for the media work I do. Any advice or thoughts?

If it matters, the systems:

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi / i5-10600K w/ OS on Samsung 860 EVO
[TO]
ASUS Prime B560M-A / i5-10600K w/ OS on WD Black SN750

Solution
New motherboard = Install everything from scratch, otherwise you will spend an inordinate amount of time chasing gremlins. That's assuming that the system even boots. There is no "Easy" button here.
You can certainly just install the existing system drive into the new PC and attempt to boot.

It boots or it doesn't.

If it doesn't, do a clean install.

If it does, you may have mild or serious issues, now or later.

If they appear, you can decide then whether to spend 10 minutes or 10 months fighting the issues and give up whenever you want to and do a clean install.

I've always done a clean install, but may at least experiment with a simple drive swap when I next rebuild.....for the same reasons you state.

Reactions: bloodedbythought

bloodedbythought

Prominent
May 21, 2022
You can certainly just install the existing system drive into the new PC and attempt to boot.

It boots or it doesn't.

If it doesn't, do a clean install.

If it does, you may have mild or serious issues, now or later.

If they appear, you can decide then whether to spend 10 minutes or 10 months fighting the issues and give up whenever you want to and do a clean install.

I've always done a clean install, but may at least experiment with a simple drive swap when I next rebuild.....for the same reasons you state.

Yes, I might just try it as an experiment. I'm normally a scorched earth / fresh install enthusiast, but I have a lot of layers and sound software that took so long to sort out :p

Status
Not open for further replies.