[SOLVED] How are current GPU's able to be downsized from full-size into laptop-sized without losing much power?

Cowgoesmoo2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
It's remarkable but makes no sense how the full size 10 series of NVIDIA cards can apparently be downsized onto a laptop but lose the vast, vast majority of their mass and volume but retain what I remember is 70-90% of their processing power. While drawing less power (I think).

How does that even work? Why are GPU's so huge and bulky then if apparently 80% of the whole thing- I realize that a good chunk of it are HDMI connector components, something to power the fans- is kind of unnecessary? That's just so weird.

Solution
How does that even work? Why are GPU's so huge and bulky then if apparently 80% of the whole thing is kind of unnecessary? That's just so weird.
My guess would be cost, the bigger you make something the easier and thus cheaper it is to make, you can use standard materials and use standard machinery, going small is expensive so they only do it when they have to which would be laptops.
How does that even work? Why are GPU's so huge and bulky then if apparently 80% of the whole thing is kind of unnecessary? That's just so weird.
My guess would be cost, the bigger you make something the easier and thus cheaper it is to make, you can use standard materials and use standard machinery, going small is expensive so they only do it when they have to which would be laptops.

Solution