How Are my CPU Load Temps?(Q6600 Stock)

timmyk727

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I just popped on new AS5 and a Sunbeam cooler on top in preparations for OCing my processor in a few days....neglected to check temps with stock fan and heatsink

Specs
4GB PC6400 RAM
Q6600
Asus PQ5 Pro Mother board

Here are my Core Temps Running Prime95 64-bit in Windows 7(bout 20 Minutes), there have been no tweaks in my BIOS and I have the fan set to max(2100RPM) on the cooler

Speedfan
Core1: 57C
Core2: 57C
Core3: 51C
Core4: 51C

Think they are running a bit high? I ran out of AS5 thermal paste, and have a more generic version I can try reapplying

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
whell my AMD Dual @ 2.8 runs at 65 on stock coolling while doing orthos for 20min, so since you have a quad and an aftermarket cooler they are ok temps. if ite cooler than a dual core with a stock heatsink then its fine. what does it idle at and are you sure you did the correct offset stuff in your temp monitoring program. i use core temp and in the settings i put the offset to 20 so now when i am idling its at 40C and load 65C and thats what the reviews said it was. so to get the correct temp reading put the stock cooler on and exsperement with different offsets in core temp until you idle and stress temps are close to what other people had with there stock cooler. then put on the new cooler and check the temps. but 57C is fine as long as you no for sure it is the correct readding

timmyk727

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
my idle temps are in the low thirties for all cores

Not too sure about the whole off set thing, can't find an option to do that, ill download core temp and try that out

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

yea, if your readings are correct your good, but in core temp there is a setting called CPU offset, and in my case i was idling at 20C. way to low for stock cooler. so i put in 10 for CPU offset and my new idle was 30C then i put 20 and my new idle was 40C. 40C is what people have been saying they idled at. then they say there load is around 65C. my load is around 65C. so make sure you have the stock cooler and read some reviews and ajust the offset until it is the same as the reviews. then add the new cooler to find your new temps. just hope your current was are correct and no lower than what they sould be.

Download CoreTemp. My Q6600 runs at about 10 degrees Celsius more than room temperature at idle with a Scythe Ninja. That is, 25 in the room, 33 to 37 in CoreTemp.

You should get about the same with your cooler. I'm assuming you have the Sunbeam Core Contact, btw.

papalarge123

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
those temps look fine

u need to offset in core temp the TJmax of the CPU to 90c,

i had similar temps untill i offset. but even without the offset, those temps are fine

u will prob find that u will be able to hit 3.0-3.2 with not much change to the CPU or core temps, as long as the Vcore in the BIOS is set to manual.
as auto will adjust the voltage higher, givin u more temp.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

whats this tjmax stuff. i just go to core temp, settings at the top i see temp offset. i put 20 degrees C and my temps become correct.

and take considereation for what aevm said about how his CPU runs 10C more than room temp at idle. use that to guge what your temp should be so when you offset it you can get the correct reading, because if you OC and it says your load is 65C but its really 75C you will have problems

CompuTronix

Intel Master
firefoxx04,

You are obviously referring to "Tjunction Max Offset" in "Core Temp", which is also referred to as "Set Tj Max" in "Real Temp", however, with all due respect, your statements show that you are poorly informed. There are far too many variables involved in temperatrure calibration to approach such a specification dependent task in a haphazard manner.

According to Intel, the correct Tjunction Max setting is 100c for the Q6600 G0, and 90c for the Q6600 B3. There are established methods for calibrating temperatures based upon Intel documentation. As such, it is irresponsible to recommend to timmyk727, or anyone, that they should calibrate their temperatures according to "some reviews".

If you'd like to understand how temperatures work, and how to uniformly test, accurately calibrate, and properly monitor CPU temperature and Core temperatures, then read the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

You might also want to read all 126 pages of the Real Temp thread over at XtremeSystems - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044&page=126 - which is one of the best sources of information concerning Core temperature calibrations available anywhere on the Internet.

Additionally, there are several hundred pages of various Intel papers and processor specific documents which may help to clarify your understanding of temperatures. Once comprehended and applied, I'm sure you'll have some valid advice to offer others concerning CPU temperature and Core temperature calibrations.

timmyk727,

From the Guide:

Section 6: Scale

Scale 2: Quad
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping E0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping C1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9400: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9300: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8200: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping G0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W<--Q6600 G0

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30--30--30-- Cool

Tcase = CPU temperature
Tjunction = Core temperatures

Also, keep in mind that the Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR - is CPU temperature, not Core temperature, which is a very common misconception among most users.

Comp :sol:

timmyk727

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009

maybe its bad if I say that reading that made me very confused...I first tried doing the offset to 100c and all my temps are the same as I listed before + 100c....

I read that guide and it just confused the hell out of me

Also tried Core Temp, and saw the Tj. Max setting was already at 100c, and that yields the same temps in my first post.

Ima try redoing the thermal paste, (no more AS5, I have the one that came with my Sunbeam core contact cooler)...I think the temp should be much lower given the room temp is ~21C.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
timmyk727,

Since I wrote the Guide, I'm always interested in making it more comprehensive, so perhaps it would be helpful if you mentioned what you found confusing about it.

100c is correct, just as it should be. My Guide is based on SpeedFan, which also uses 100c, but if you find it too complicated, then I recommend Real Temp 2.90 RC12, which can be downloaded from the following link - http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179044

At 22c Standard Ambient with a high-end cooler such as your Sunbeamtech Core Contact Freezer, the Q6600 G0 should Idle at approximately 30 to 32c, but only under the following conditions:

Computer Case Covers = Removed
Computer Case Fans = Manual 100% RPM
CPU Fan = Manual 100% RPM
CPU Frequency = Auto (See Note 1: below) **
CPU Internal Thermal Control = Enabled
Enhanced C1 Control (C1E) = Enabled
Internet = Disconnected
Memory Frequency = Auto
PECI (If Equipped) = Enabled
Speedstep (EIST) = Enabled
Vcore = Auto (See Note 1: below) **
Vdimm = Auto
Windows Programs = Closed

** Note 1: If BIOS does not respond properly to Auto Vcore, Frequency and Multiplier settings, then use an appropriate combination of manual settings to provide the following in CPU-Z:

Core Voltage = 1.100 V
Core Speed = 1600 Mhz (65 nanometer processors)
Core Speed = 2000 Mhz (45 nanometer processors)

(A) Measure Ambient near the computer case air intake, clear of warm exhaust. A trusted indoor analog or digital thermometer will suffice. The accuracy of this device and measurement will determine the overall accuracy of the Calibrations.
(B) Boot into Windows. Close all programs, background processes, Screen Savers, SETI, Folding and Tray software. Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete, click on Task Manager, then click on the Performance tab to confirm CPU Usage is less than 1%. Use the Applications and Processes tabs to close programs if necessary.

(C) Open CPU-Z and SpeedFan. Observe CPU-Z for Intel's Speedstep to decrease Core Voltage, Core Speed and Multiplier to minimum values. Observe SpeedFan, allow 10 minute at Idle to ensure that temperatures decrease to minimums, then record Tcase Idle.

(This means record CPU temperature and Core temperatures.) The procedure may seem a bit tedious, but this is how we level the playing field to eliminate all the different variables which affect temperatures when we're looking at calibrations, so that apples are apples, and oranges are oranges. If we don't make every effort to find the lowest common denominators between all the different systems out there, then temperatures can't be sorted out, and the whole topic becomes nothing more than apples and oranges thermal fruit salad in a blender. The author of Real Temp, Kevin Glynn, will tell you the same thing.

If you don't have Core temperatures which are 30 to 32c under these specific conditions, then there are other places to look for problems such as convex or concave IHS and HS surfaces.

Can you confirm that your Q6600 is actually a G0, or have you instead received a B3? Also, can you confirm the VID?

Comp :sol:

timmyk727

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
have a G0 model, VID, not sure what that is exactly, if thats the core voltage, that sits at 1.136 idle at 1600MHz

gonna work new thermal paste sometime weds/thurs, have work to do and I might have not done the pasting optimally, didn't realize that I should do the pasting a specific way with a HDT cooler

timmyk727

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
1.325 from Core temp

redid thermal paste, got it down a few more degrees across all the numbers.

Started overclocking the processor, got it to 3.25 GHz with default ram settings and slapping the processor with 1.425 voltage, will run prime overnight and if its stable, ill bump up the ram settings

With Prime Running, Core 1 and 2 are ~66 and Core 2 and 3 are ~61, i might lower my voltage on my CPU to help reduce heat

EDIT:Bleh failed torture test, ill play with some settings and hope it works out