[SOLVED] How are PNY,Patriort,ADATA,TRM, Lexar, Hynix,Transcend,TeamGroup,GEO,Hikvision, Apacer, Verbatim, zillion,AITC and WD brand SSDs?

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
I'm seeking for 2.5 inch SATA SSD. Size is 500GB-1TB.

I could not find anything better like crucial or samsung in my country. So, I've to choose among these.

I'm talking about in general company's reputation and if there are companies that I should avoid at all costs. Lots of people are happy with hynix and TRM as well which is surprising for me as both are no-name brands.

Last edited:
Solution
any brands? all same? i hope so man.
What I mean is..a typical SATA III SSD will show you speeds of somewhere between 520 and 550 read/write.
If you see any number much below that, you REALLY don't want that device.

And there is ZERO perceptible difference between "520" and "550". So thats not an indicator.

Some brands, you couldn't pay me to use.
ADATA, for their shady pars swapping and keeping the same SKU.
And we see far too many ADTA fails here.
Kingston did the same thing.

Most of the others on your list....second or third raters.

Of your newly revised list....PNY, WD, maybe Hynix are the ones I'd go to.

USAFRet

Titan
The WD SN570 is an NVMe drive, so not applicable.
As is the ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO .

The ASUS65055 120GT-R? is only 120GB, and thus too small for your needs.

Refine your list to drives that are actually applicable to your requirements.

I'm seeking for 2.5 inch SATA SSD. Size is 500GB-1TB.

I could not find anything better like crucial or samsung in my country. So, I've to choose among these.

How's ADATA"s ASUS65055 120GT-R? How's ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO?

How's WD SN570? Also, tell information about the companies mentioned in the title.

WD SN 570 is a pretty good drive in its class.

But I don't think it is a "2.5 inch SATA SSD".

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
The WD SN570 is an NVMe drive, so not applicable.
As is the ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO .

The ASUS65055 120GT-R? is only 120GB, and thus too small for your needs.

Refine your list to drives that are actually applicable to your requirements.
I'm just talking about company's reputation. I just gave examples and pardon if I gave wrong examples.

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
I wouldn't get very wrapped up on "company's reputation".

About all you'll get is anecdotes. Pick a brand. You'll find horror stories about that brand. So what?

You are taking a risk with all of them. Prepare for that by having a decent backup.

You're right. I think I can go with any one by looking at benchmarks(actual vs specified)

Whole list is somewhere between "Good, bad and ugly"
As for reputation, There's limited number of actual memory chip and controller manufactures and wast majority of SSD "manufacturers" use combination of those chips.
Even very top ones like Samsung make a booboo sometimes and even cheat with specs.

USAFRet

Titan
any brands? all same? i hope so man.
What I mean is..a typical SATA III SSD will show you speeds of somewhere between 520 and 550 read/write.
If you see any number much below that, you REALLY don't want that device.

And there is ZERO perceptible difference between "520" and "550". So thats not an indicator.

Some brands, you couldn't pay me to use.
ADATA, for their shady pars swapping and keeping the same SKU.
And we see far too many ADTA fails here.
Kingston did the same thing.

Most of the others on your list....second or third raters.

Of your newly revised list....PNY, WD, maybe Hynix are the ones I'd go to.

Solution
Try calling customer support for a candidate drive in your country.
If you get a good experience, go with them.

Do not be much swayed by benchmarks. In actual use, you probably can not tell any difference. If you must, look only at the single queue level stats.
Sata ssd devices are some 40x faster than a HDD in random I/O which is what we do most.
Sequential processing may be 3x faster so a ssd is a good thing any way you look at it.
Without moving parts it is likely more reliable than a HDD.
The only negative is cost per gb.

USAFRet

Titan
I've made a list of ~50 of them in ms-excel. I want to find 10 of them. Is there a place to ask such questions here?
How is this not the same question as here:

terryvalencia

Commendable
Jun 1, 2020
How is this not the same question as here:

Now, I've collection of companies in excel, and it's more of "solve excel" rather technology tbh as nb is going to read 50 different companies products. I'd not ask here/there. No problem.

Sep 15, 2022
I've used Western Digital in my computers since 199x, my latest add-on was 2*WD Black SN850 in March last year, and damn they're awesome!

However, I'm not sure they did make a decent 2,5" drive. If they did, hit it!

Don't get their green products. I like the idea, but a half minute spin-up, is really freaking annoying.

I would go for a drive with DRAM cache, and if possible TLC instead of QLC to be both faster and longer lived. Some brands do have certain models with these, including:
ADATA SU800 has been cheapest for years and available in small sizes but performance is just OK
WD Blue 3D is just a bit more (note the Green doesn't have DRAM cache)
Teamgroup T-Force Delta MAX (non-Lite) is as high priced as Samsung, but RGB
SK Hynix Gold S31 is surprisingly inexpensive for a premium Sandisk class product

I've had no reliability issues with cheapie brand SSDs but some of the DRAM-less models have been much slower than HDDs with occasional multi-second pauses. This is how bad they used to be. Yes, with JMicron JMF602B even a MLC SSD could be 25x slower latency than a spinning hard disk, or even freeze + do nothing for 30 seconds.

I understand many newer DRAM-less SSDs use either some of their NAND in SLC mode as write cache (the SU800 also does this), or HMB in the driver which reserves some system memory for the same, SuperFetch (or Samsung Magician Rapid Mode) style. But why suffer excessive write amplification or such an inelegant kluge when DRAM equipped SSDs can be had for the same price?