How are the new internal graphics cards for gaming?

SW1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Hello,
I'm considering buying an all in one computer for home use. I don't play that many games but sometimes I need to do Cad modeling for work. I use Rhino, whats good for gaming is usually good for Rhino. Best Buy is selling a refurbished 24" all in one for $650 with a 2.93 Intel i3. Not sure how far the integrated cards have come in the last few years. Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
The only "respectable" IGPs are Llano, go to the homepage and read all about it.
For what its worth, in a month or two, some pretty nice AIOs with decent gaming performance and mediocre CPU speeds should come out.

But other than that, You would rather build a small PC and mount it using a VESA stand at the back of the monitor.
they are fine........if you play games that are 10 years old. All-in-one computers overheat easily under load and are expensive to repair as there are no generic parts available. They are a complete waste of time and money IMO. If you really want one, make sure you get the extended warranty.

Timop

Distinguished
The only "respectable" IGPs are Llano, go to the homepage and read all about it.
For what its worth, in a month or two, some pretty nice AIOs with decent gaming performance and mediocre CPU speeds should come out.

But other than that, You would rather build a small PC and mount it using a VESA stand at the back of the monitor.

Solution
Integrated graphics performance is improving, but it is no where near discreet video cards.

Intel's current Sandy Bridge Core i5-2500k and i7-2600k CPUs have the Intel HD 3000 graphics core. It is more powerful than previous Intel integrated graphics, but only a little more powerful than the Radeon HD 5450.

AMD's upcoming Llano CPUs (socket FM1) for laptops will have a more powerful graphics core; Radeon HD 6550D. It's performance is a bit better than the Radeon HD 6450. It's like this:

Radeon HD 5570 > Radeon HD 6550D > Intel HD 3000 > Radeon HD 5450

Compared to a nVidia card, it is about as powerful as the GT 220.

At least one manufacturer (Asrock) will be releasing a desktop motherboard which will use the Llano CPU.

Here's a preview of the Llano CPU:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4448/amd-llano-desktop-performance-preview