Discussion Diablo 2 high latency

Jul 14, 2019
I've been experiencing high latency while playing Diablo 2. I have upgraded my network equipment and did some tuning (SQM), but still having issues. I found the ports for the game are showing closed. I tried to forward them through my router (Edgerouter X) with no success. I decided to take the router out of the equation and I connected directly to the modem (MB7420). I had no luck with this either. Then I disabled all software firewalls and security software. Still no luck. I contacted Comcast, and they swear those ports are not blocked by them. I appreciate any help, as I don't know what else to try.

My understanding is, the port opens once something tries to use it, so I was checking the ports while running the game. If I am connected directly to the modem, and have no firewalls requiring port forwarding, why is the port still listed as closed? What am I missing?

If anyone else has Comcast and Diablo 2, I would love for you to confirm they are not blocking these ports. The ports I am trying to open are 6112 and 4000 (TCP).

My networking setup is the Motorola MB7420 cable modem, with Edgerouter X router, and Ubiquiti AC AP Lite (for wireless). I'm using Windows 10.

There actually has to be a active program listening on the port for it to respond. If there is no program active then the port is the same as closed.

You can use wireshark to see if there is actual data coming into your machine

Jul 14, 2019
Thanks, bill001g. I have installed and run Wireshark, however, I am not sure what to make of it. Scrolling through I do see the ports I'm looking for, but don't know what it means. Resource Monitor shows the port and high latency. I can not ping the IP address associated with the port, but I suppose that's most likely a security feature on their end.

Wireshark looks like something that has a steep learning curve. I just want to know what's going on with these ports. Could anyone please tell me how I could interpret the data I've gathered regarding the ports being open or closed?

What you are looking for is the source and destination. If you see the port number in packets as the destination then traffic is getting to your machine. If you also see packets where the port is the source port then data is being sent. If you see traffic coming and and responses being sent back then you have a messy issue because something is likely not allowing the data to return.

In most cases if you get the data your machines is not responding or you do not get the data at all. Those are a little simpler to try to figure out.

Wireshark is mostly just practice. You don't need fancy filters or reporting when you are looking for simple stuff.

Jul 14, 2019
Thanks again bill001g. I believe I've had a difficult time with this because the ports aren't used for the mode I'm playing. I still have to confirm this, but it would make sense for why I wouldn't see the ports as open, since nothing is trying to reach it. I am still a bit confused as to why there's a packet exchange going on when I'm not using the ports. This is assuming I read things correctly in Wireshark.

Jul 14, 2019
So, I haven't given up. Even if I don't fix it, I'll have learned a good bit.

I was running Blizzard's MTR test and receiving 100% packet loss on the last hop (my router). I've found that running the test while only connected to my modem works fine. I'm not sure what's causing the issue with my router. Everything is default on it, except the login credentials, of course. I have an Edgerouter X. Can anyone suggest something to check? Thank you!

Jul 14, 2019
I believe I have found the root cause of my high latency. It seems to be beyond my control. The last thing I will try is a VPN to obtain a different route. There's a hop along the route I get every time that almost always has high latency.

If anyone has any issues with high latency on Diablo 2, feel free to message me.

TRENDING THREADS