How are these temps (i7-8700K & 1080 Ti)? + Questions about PWM fan control

doesnotcompute

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011
Hi and thanks for reading.

Just completed building an i7-8700K w/Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Extreme Core PC. This is an air-cooled system :
- CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU heatsink (w/Grizzly Kryonaut thermal paste)
- Zotac is cooled with its stock triple-fan
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 mobo
- Corsair HX620w PSU (older now, purchased in 2011)
- Case is a Phanteks Enthoo Pro with five fans (1x 200mm stock lower front intake, 1x 140mm medium bottom intake, 1x 140mm stock rear exhaust, 2x 120mm top exhaust)
- I am using MSI Afterburner to set the fan speed profile for the Zotac 1080 Ti

Note: The rear of the case is right next to a house central air vent (cool air source).

Performance:
- CPU (stock) is boosting to 4.5 MHz during games (have not seen it higher, but probably running on multiple cores, so boost is lower than 4.7 MHz max)
- GPU (w/stock Zotac OC) stays at 1999 MHz when below 60 C, drops to 1987 C (between 60-65 C) or as low as 1930 C if hotter than 70 C

My temps:
- CPU — idle: 25-35 C; gaming: 40-55 C, but spikes to 65-70 C max
- GPU — 55-60 C with the fan at 80-100%

Questions:
- Are these the temps you'd expect for this configuration w/air cooling?

- Are there other temps I should be monitoring beyond CPU core and GPU?

- Are these temps good enough to consider mildly OC'ing my CPU and RAM? I'd like to go to 4.7 MHz constant on all cores in the CPU; and my RAM is DDR4-3400, but it's running at 2333 currently (i.e., I have not altered the XMP profile).

- I'm currently running the five case fans and CPU heatsink fan through the Enthoo Pro case's stock PWM (which connects to CPU_Fan on the mobo). With this setup I'm concerned that all of my fans, including the CPU heatsink, are running at a constant speed as opposed to increasing/decreasing depending on case/CPU temps. I know very little about PC fan controls. Should I connect my fans differently to address this?

Any insight/guidance is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Solution
1. Your temperatures are fine and what I would expect.

2. Probably only the cpu temperature is worth looking at. Graphics temperatures will be mandaged by the gpu.

3. You should have no problem enabling a XMP profile at 3400 speed.
Virtually every i7-8700K will run at an all core multiplier of 47.
In the bios, gradually increase the all core multiplier and see how you do.
You can leave voltages on auto.
Stress test and monitor your temperature. 85c is about as high as you want to go.
Monitor your vcore with cpu-Z. 1.3v is safe, 1.4v is max.

It is not clear if you will run out of safe vcore or temperature first.
Do not worry about cpu temperatures.
The cpu will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous...

Llorelie

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Good morning,

If you are looking to overclock that CPU significantly, I would consider putting a beefier cooler on it. I'm a big fan (haha) of the Noctua NH-D15. It does take up quite a bit more room, and weighs more, but it will keep that temp lower and give you more OC headroom. Thanks,

1. Your temperatures are fine and what I would expect.

2. Probably only the cpu temperature is worth looking at. Graphics temperatures will be mandaged by the gpu.

3. You should have no problem enabling a XMP profile at 3400 speed.
Virtually every i7-8700K will run at an all core multiplier of 47.
In the bios, gradually increase the all core multiplier and see how you do.
You can leave voltages on auto.
Stress test and monitor your temperature. 85c is about as high as you want to go.
Monitor your vcore with cpu-Z. 1.3v is safe, 1.4v is max.

It is not clear if you will run out of safe vcore or temperature first.
Do not worry about cpu temperatures.
The cpu will slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That is about 100c.
If you can benefit from stronger cooling, a Noctua NH-D15s will be as good as it gets.

Your front 200mm intake is sufficient fo all the cooling you need. If it is filtered, your parts will stay clean.
A single 120/140mm rear exhaust is all you should use.
It will direct the airflow past your parts.
If you use any others on top or bottom, they will draw in unfiltered air.

You can set up fans to be managed by your motherboard, based on cpu temperatures.
I would not bother with fan controls.
A 200mm fan can be very quiet as can a 140mm exhaust.
I like that better than a constantly changing noise.

Solution

doesnotcompute

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2011