Question How Bad Is Dust For PC Components? 🙄

Jul 31, 2022
I am planning on buying Deepcool Macube 110 but my concern is that there is no mesh on front panel. And also there is a a cut out beneath the front panel and some sideway small cut outs for ailflow. But as there is no mesh installed, the intake fans will pull in lots of dust. And the place where I live in, excessive dust in the air is a very common thing.
So what should I do? Should I buy this model or buy a case with a mesh?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thread title: Depends on how lazy one is.
The smaller the vents are, the bigger the threat dust becomes, meaning you should - ideally - clean more frequently. Laptops have this con.

Well, what do you want to do? I believe in getting what you like and working with it.
You like the case and want to work with its shortcomings - perhaps welcoming the challenge?
This looks to be a negative pressure case, just like NZXT's H500. [Well, most of NZXT's cases are negative pressure.

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
It's mostly about cosmetic appearance, PCs are intended for indoor use, so if you can breath, your PC will be OK.

If you are trying to say dust is something people shouldn't care about at all, you're mistaken.
Sure, you can worry too much over dust and in most cases, as long as dust doesn't build up and clog intake or fans, there isn't much to worry about.
However, what it seems most people forget is that dust absorbs electricity. This being said, it can actually mess with electronics.
Though if you're good at blowing out the dust at least once a week, and wiping down the fans and mesh at least once a month, you should be good.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am planning on buying Deepcool Macube 110 but my concern is that there is no mesh on front panel. And also there is a a cut out beneath the front panel and some sideway small cut outs for ailflow. But as there is no mesh installed, the intake fans will pull in lots of dust. And the place where I live in, excessive dust in the air is a very common thing.

Dust is bad.

Which is why when you have good airflow, that will inevitably result in more dust, you need to take care of dust buildup through regular dust removal. Removing dust, along with regular backups of your important files, are two very basic maintenance tasks for responsible PC ownership.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
If you are trying to say dust is something people shouldn't care about at all, you're mistaken.
Sure, you can worry too much over dust and in most cases, as long as dust doesn't build up and clog intake or fans, there isn't much to worry about.
However, what it seems most people forget is that dust absorbs electricity. This being said, it can actually mess with electronics.
Though if you're good at blowing out the dust at least once a week, and wiping down the fans and mesh at least once a month, you should be good.

I didn't say what you think.

I said computers are for indoor use, if you can breath normally it means then the environment is OK, and the computers will be OK too. In such living/working place dust will never be a problem.

The only situation where you may need mesh in the front is when you have cats or dogs in the same room and they often stay near your computer, a fine mesh grill could help preventing their furs from entering the case.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I said computers are for indoor use, if you can breath normally it means then the environment is OK, and the computers will be OK too. In such living/working place dust will never be a problem.

The only situation where you may need mesh in the front is when you have cats or dogs in the same room and they often stay near your computer, a fine mesh grill could help preventing their furs from entering the case.
dust in heatsinks can increase temps, and it also make fans noisy. Clean your fans and see if they are quieter afterwards. Filters at least mean you don't have to clean fans as often.

If you stick with the case:
if its a negative pressure case based on its solid front, the dust will build up on the exhaust fans so the lack of mesh on front is not a problem. There is a dust filter on roof so if you go negative pressure you might want to remove it (or be cleaning it every month like I do)

What cooling were you using on the CPU? if you put a 240mm AIO in roof it would fix the problem. Otherwise 2 more 140mm fans in roof will help. Considering size of 15mm vents on the front, you aren't going to get a lot of intake.

Last edited:

Buy what you like but there is a reason why mesh is not popular.

If you use mesh you have to clean it regularly or your computer will die because when the mesh is clogged, there won't be an airflow.

It take a long time for a heat-sink to be clogged by dust, but a mesh grill will be completely clogged in no time, it's dangerous. That's why big brands don't sell much computers with mesh.

Mesh-clogged.png

logainofhades

Titan
Buy what you like but there is a reason why mesh is not popular.

If you use mesh you have to clean it regularly or your computer will die because when the mesh is clogged, there won't be an airflow.

It take a long time for a heat-sink to be clogged by dust, but a mesh grill will be completely clogged in no time, it's dangerous. That's why big brands don't sell much computers with mesh.

Mesh-clogged.png

Where have you seen mesh is not popular? Some of the best reviewed cases, for airflow, are front mesh towers. The vast majority of GN's top cases are a mesh design. Top mesh is often criticized for making little sense. That is a justified criticism, though. Mesh grills will not clog fast, unless you are in a very dusty environment. I live in a house with 3 dogs, yet, I don't have to clean my mesh/filters very often.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dust filters make the situation even worse.

dust filters reduce airflow by blocking the dust... so where do you collect the dust that goes into the PC? As unless you work for a Hard drive maker, I doubt you have a dust free environment. Without filters it goes into case or if you lucky, right through.

Filters are there to stop the dust getting in. It will gather on fans otherwise. Sure, if you don't have a glass side to PC, you can't see it but component temps will increase. Fans might have to run faster to compensate for the extra heat.

ALmost every big case maker has mesh cases now after Gameers Nexus spent a year comparing their new cases to a case from 10 years ago and shaming them into stop making fish tanks and start thinking about air flow again. every high air flow case now has a mesh front.

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
Many of the most popular cases, right now, have a mesh design or use some kind of filtration. The o11 Dynamic has filters, and has been arguably one of the most popular cases in recent years. They even created an airflow version, that has a mesh front. If mesh was so unpopular, why would a company retool to make another SKU, on a case that was already selling quite well, as it was? The Fractal Meshify C is a mesh case, as the name implies, and is also quite popular. I don't know where you get your data, but it is highly inaccurate. Using OEM's as an argument is a flawed one. OEM's cheap out wherever they can.

Colif

Win 11 Master
most mesh cases have filters as well.

My meshify S2 has a mesh outer and then a foam inner that acts as the filter
see photo of the top for example (old photo from when I was cleaning it)
rAqNq6S.jpg

Alas the Meshify Version 2 has a better filter system, easier to remove. I got PC 6 months too soon I guess.