[SOLVED] How bad is Tier-D PSU?

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019

Someone had previously informed me that the PSU that I am using is ranked as a Tier D PSU on the Article.

I was wondering just how bad it is; I bought it back in 2019.

Current PSU: EVGA 600 W1
(https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01127D0MY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

__
I also have another none-PSU related question that I would like to ask:

Is it better to install games on the same drive as your OS or an separate drive?

Solution
For that build I think it will get you by. Just when you build a new machine try to budget for a better one.

As long as the drive is fast SSD/NVME it should work and be fast either way. I normally install games on a D drive partion even though most of the time its the same physical drive. in case I need to reinstall I don't have to worry about the games. (check for game saves though).

Good luck!

sonofjesse

Distinguished
For that build I think it will get you by. Just when you build a new machine try to budget for a better one.

As long as the drive is fast SSD/NVME it should work and be fast either way. I normally install games on a D drive partion even though most of the time its the same physical drive. in case I need to reinstall I don't have to worry about the games. (check for game saves though).

Good luck!

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Tier D = high school lunch. Edible is about as far as it goes.

It's functional and is reliable enough to get roughly what it claims if needed, but not the kind of psu to be used for a hard gamer and high demand gpus. A 1050 is somewhat lackluster demand.

So the psu is fine because there's nothing to really test it hard.

Reactions: chaoyang
It will work fine with your current system configuration which is not very power hungry.

The W1 is not the worst out there, but low quality in general. The main issue they have is that if loaded heavily a component can overheat and fail explosively as EVGA cut costs by not attaching a heatsink it (simplified explanation).

If you upgrade the GPU much I would strongly advise a PSU upgrade.

Reactions: chaoyang