how bad of a bad idea...

kallenin

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
How bad of a bad idea is it to modify a power supply to be liquid cooled? That said, I hope there are some pre-made options out there that you can just buy?

-Kallnin

It is the most retarded idea ever. No sane person can reccomend it / do it. I'm sure you are aware of the problems with high voltages and water.

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
The HV components are normally isolated from the outside world with very thin silicone rubber sheets between them and their heatsink, and the heatsink is isolated by several millimeters of air space between it and the power supply case. But by switching to water cooling, that air space is bridged over with water and metal plumbing, leaving only the thin rubber sheets for protection and making it absolutely essential to use only a grounded AC outlet. While air-cooled PC power supplies are always made for grounded power cords, they're designed to operate safely even without the ground connection.

If you absolutely insist on modifying a power supply for water cooling, leave the high voltage section alone, and water cool only the heatsink of the low voltage components. Ground the power supply case, the water block, and the radiator, and always use a grounded AC outlet and a 3-wire power cord. Remember, not every 3-prong outlet is actually grounded, so use a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) as well.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
LMAO! I had a feeling as soon as I saw the question that you were going to say that :lol: I dont know about you, but I enjoy using the hair dryer while taking a shower :tongue: Of course thats nothing compared to filling my rubber boots up with water and sticking my finger in a 220 socket :lol:

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU

RichPLS

Champion
That would explain the Mad and the Genuis (Einstein) look.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I have much better hair :tongue:

Intel P4 550(3.4)<font color=red>@4.2 posted 4.8</font color=red>
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC2 5300@<font color=red>DDR2 780</font color=red>
ATI Radeon X800XL <font color=red>459/609</font color=red>
TT 680W PSU