[SOLVED] How bad will higher latency affect performance?

May 27, 2020
I want to buy 16GB of DDR4 3200MHz memory. There are options of C16 or C14. Will there be a big enough difference to make me want to spend the extra money for a C14 kit? Thanks for reading.

Solution
For you, probably not. For me, yes, and in fact I did replace a CL15 kit with a CL14 kit. But for most people, the difference isn't all that significant if we are talking about two different kits at the same speed.

Now, for different speeds, it might make a difference that could be noticeable, because for example, a 3200mhz CL14 kit is actually FASTER than a 3600mhz CL16 kit.

What kind of system is this for and what is the primary use case for the system?
For you, probably not. For me, yes, and in fact I did replace a CL15 kit with a CL14 kit. But for most people, the difference isn't all that significant if we are talking about two different kits at the same speed.

Now, for different speeds, it might make a difference that could be noticeable, because for example, a 3200mhz CL14 kit is actually FASTER than a 3600mhz CL16 kit.

What kind of system is this for and what is the primary use case for the system?

Reactions: Hellomyself72
Solution
May 27, 2020

The main use for my system is gaming. What else do you need to know?

For gaming, you would be unlikely to notice any difference even if they were CL19 sticks. But I would still recommend getting a kit with the lowest CL latency that you feel comfortable paying for, because the lower latency sticks just make the system "feel" snappier in my opinion. Generally speaking though, you technically wouldn't notice much difference, for most people, unless you were comparing synthetic benchmark scores.

Reactions: Hellomyself72
May 27, 2020
For gaming, you would be unlikely to notice any difference even if they were CL19 sticks. But I would still recommend getting a kit with the lowest CL latency that you feel comfortable paying for, because the lower latency sticks just make the system "feel" snappier in my opinion. Generally speaking though, you technically wouldn't notice much difference, for most people, unless you were comparing synthetic benchmark scores.
Good to know. Thanks.

Latest posts