[SOLVED] How bad would i5 4690k bottleneck rtx 3070?

Dec 20, 2020
Thinking about upgrading my rig, I got a new lg cx monitor and want to eventually get a rtx 3070. I currently have an i5 4690k but to upgrade I would need a new motherboard too. How bad would I be bottlenecked if I just upgraded my gtx 1070 to the rtx 3070?

Solution
Thinking about upgrading my rig, I got a new lg cx monitor and want to eventually get a rtx 3070. I currently have an i5 4690k but to upgrade I would need a new motherboard too. How bad would I be bottlenecked if I just upgraded my gtx 1070 to the rtx 3070?
There's nothing wrong with putting that GPU in your existing system, if you're aware of the limitation of the CPU.
Adding the 3070 is not going to automagically give you 2,000FPS in your chosen game.

"how bad is the bottleneck" ?
Well...you can probably increase the graphics settings while keeping the same framerate.
"bottleneck" is a useless and misleading term.
Hello there!!
No don't do that you are installing a new high end GPU on a 7 year old mid range system. You require a new platform entirely before installing that gpu. Whats your monitor resolution and what games are you planning to play at what detail settings?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if you're gonna use it for a few years and upgrade the rest of the system down the line, then who cares. get what you can and know it will last a good while.

folks spend so much time worrying about such things instead of just enjoying the system. so what if you lose a few fps the cpu might be able to handle. once you upgrade, it'll all be there waiting for you :)

good luck finding one anyway, those new gpu's are dang near impossible to find at any price.

frankly i'd wait until things get better in stock and prices come back to where they should be anyway. unless you find one at msrp, then go for it !!

Reactions: castlemadeofsand
Dec 20, 2020
Hello there!!
No don't do that you are installing a new high end GPU on a 7 year old mid range system. You require a new platform entirely before installing that gpu. Whats your monitor resolution and what games are you planning to play at what detail settings?
4K 120hz monitor. Don’t necessarily need to play at 4K. Right now my 1070 does 1080p well at high frame rates but I would like to play at higher resolution or frame rates with better raytracing on the newer games coming out

Dec 20, 2020
if you're gonna use it for a few years and upgrade the rest of the system down the line, then who cares. get what you can and know it will last a good while.

folks spend so much time worrying about such things instead of just enjoying the system. so what if you lose a few fps the cpu might be able to handle. once you upgrade, it'll all be there waiting for you :)

good luck finding one anyway, those new gpu's are dang near impossible to find at any price.

frankly i'd wait until things get better in stock and prices come back to where they should be anyway. unless you find one at msrp, then go for it !!
Well the thing is I can afford a 3070 but having to rebuild my pc is a lot more. I do that or get a ps5 so weighing my options. No point in getting a 3070 now if I can’t utilize it due to my cpu though

USAFRet

Titan
There's nothing wrong with putting that GPU in your existing system, if you're aware of the limitation of the CPU.
Adding the 3070 is not going to automagically give you 2,000FPS in your chosen game.

Well...you can probably increase the graphics settings while keeping the same framerate.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Solution
Dec 20, 2020

Probably just gonna wait honestly. Even 1080p looks amazing on that tv and I won’t pay extra for a graphics card

Dec 20, 2020

I see! So far I haven’t run into much trouble! Can run most games at 120 FPS at 1080p so far except a few games like rdr2 and monster hunter world, so maybe itd still be worth it at this point!

4K 120hz monitor. Don’t necessarily need to play at 4K. Right now my 1070 does 1080p well at high frame rates but I would like to play at higher resolution or frame rates with better raytracing on the newer games coming out
So you wanna play new AAA titles right? I want you to take a look at the video and see how the CPU would be limting your GPU's performance also your games wouldnt be smooth due to 4c4t so i really would recommend you to get a new cpu,mobo and ram,before you upgrade your GPU.
View: https://youtu.be/WVr-5zhLEQ0