Question How best to cool my new build?

Jun 24, 2019
tl;dr - Suggestions on which/how many fans I need.

I recently built a new system and it's a beast. I wanted to get the system up and running before I worked out how much cooling I needed, but then I realized I don't have a clue how much I need.

As background, I live in a hot location and can't run my AC a whole lot; so ambient temps are around 80 F (~26 C). (Bad I know, but I can't change it. I am aware that ambient temps will restrict how well adding more fans will work.)

Specs of the system are below, if you need more info I'll be happy to provide. At the moment I am using the 2 140 fans that come on the case and they work well enough to keep the system from becoming a melted pile of slag but not enough for me to be content. I know I'm getting thermal throttling if I ramp it up so I'm certain I need more fans. At the moment the system is stock, I don't dare OC it till I sort out the cooling. (Temps on the CPU, ~50C - ~76C if I let it fly) The case seems to be designed for front and top (?) intake. I know I want positive pressure. What I don't know is how many / what type of fan to go for. Should I stick with the 140s (just more of them) or replace them with 120s? Noise is not a major concern, not with a system like this; but I'd rather not have a jet engine sitting next to me. :)

Any tips or advice are welcome. Thanks for your time.

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Intel Core i9-9920X
ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Series PH-ES515PTG_BK
CORSAIR HX850

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
140mm fans are going to be quieter than an equivalent 120mm fan since they are larger and don't have to spin as fast to move the same amount of air, so get 140mm fans. Also, 76C on the CPU is alright just not in the full boost range, and is actually quite good for your ambient temperatures and a "165W" TDP Intel CPU (quotes since that TDP is rated at the baseclock). Noctua makes some great fans that are very quiet.

You want to bring in cool air from the font and bottom and exhaust from the top and rear. Since heat rises, dont fight physics.

You have a good case and should be able to put (2) 140mm on the front and one on the bottom. Then fill up the top and back with fans. I would go with 140mm over the 120 because they will move the air quieter.

Jun 24, 2019
Also, 76C on the CPU is alright just not in the full boost range, and is actually quite good for your ambient temperatures and a "165W" TDP Intel CPU (quotes since that TDP is rated at the baseclock).

76 might be 'ok' but I know I'm getting thermal throttling. I'm not sure exactly where it's happening but I can feel it. I havn't done thorough tests to find how high but the temps are going above 76, I know the throttling is designed to protect the system but until I feel better about the cooling I'm trying not to push it.

... put (2) 140mm on the front and one on the bottom. Then fill up the top and back with fans. I would go with 140mm over the 120 because they will move the air quieter.

2 front + 1 bottom = 3 intake, if i 'fill' the top and back with fans wont that interfere with positive pressure?
I can put 2 140s on the top + 1 on the back, so thats now 3 and 3, no positive pressure, right?

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
76 might be 'ok' but I know I'm getting thermal throttling. I'm not sure exactly where it's happening but I can feel it. I havn't done thorough tests to find how high but the temps are going above 76, I know the throttling is designed to protect the system but until I feel better about the cooling I'm trying not to push it.

2 front + 1 bottom = 3 intake, if i 'fill' the top and back with fans wont that interfere with positive pressure?
I can put 2 140s on the top + 1 on the back, so thats now 3 and 3, no positive pressure, right?
To lower your CPU temperatures lower than what they are you will have to either at minimum replace the thermal paste included with your cooler with a quality paste like Arctic MX4 and increase your CPU fan speed, or go ahead and replace your cooler with a high end AIO dual 120mm, 140mm, or triple 120mm fans. Ideally get something like a Swiftech Drive X3 AIO H360 if it's in your budget. This will significantly lower your CPU temperatures, while also providing an exhaust of air out of the top of your case if you configure the fans to pull air through the radiator and exhaust out of the top.

You wont get perfect parity with airflow because of the restrictions on the case. The airflow will be restricted at intake due to case design and the screen mesh.

Additionally, one or two case fans is not causing your CPU to "thermal throttle". Your CPU will throttle at 100C. If it is hitting 100C, adding a case fan wont change that. But checking to see if it is easy to check though. Monitor your temps through Intel XTU software, then run Cinebench r15 in window mode. Watch your CPU temps in XTU. It will show you if it throttles. You can even test it with differing fan configurations on your case and you will see case fans dont have a huge impact. Typically, the fans that come with a case are adequate.

Here is a good video on computer case air flow that you should check out.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a12aDCxrcts