How best to organize read (used) files without making a new folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firepin12

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Hi i have the problem that i have a large archive (30000) for example of documents, pdf etc. which i want to have ALL in one Folder. I wanted to somehow mark/flag/color certain files in this folder which i already read for example, so that i know which file is read and which not when viewing them in the windows explorer.

Unfortunately it seems that windows explorer has not such a functionality. Color Programs seem to have only have the ability to color folders but not any files. The filename could have a different color or the symbol or such. I read in Mac osX it is very easy to change the colors of files.

Is there a program which can color Files or is there another file explorer which can mark files as read for better organization. I have a workaround that i create empty .txt files with the same filename as the read file so that i know if the file is double and there is a txt beside it (while sorting by file name of course) so than this is a read file/zip/pdf. But instead of that i want to have another option without creating all those empty txt filename duplicates.

The solution should be portable because if i bring my files to another pc on a harddrive the info should be somehow accessable on another pc as well. A portable file explorer perhaps is capable of that. I THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP and am waiting to hear your advice on how you keep track of your archives.

Firepin12

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
If i want to add new files books/comics/mp3s etc. it is more convenient to have one Folder if you want to look if you already have it or not. But this is not the point, i specifically asked about the option to do that in ONE folder and not to use another folder. So please spare us such answers like make another folder. I think the Operating System should be customizable to the user and not that the User should adapt to the OS. So why should i not mark my read files in one folder without moving them around and around? Would be easy to implement somehow. Like flagged email messages in yahoo where you can put a flag on any email you think should be marked somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS