Question How best to setup small office server

Jun 23, 2019
Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of setting up our new office server, what are your thoughts on this, and would you do anything different?

Win 10 machine running file server,cctv and hyper v.
c drive mirrored ssd drives 256gb x2
d drive mirrored hyper v for vm's (1 currently maybe 3 in total) and vm storage 480gb x 2
e drive mirrored ssds for storage of files 1tb x 2
f cctv 3tb mechanical x1
g drive mechanical for incremental backups of all the other drives bar the cctv x 1

Using mirrored drives as if one drive fails another will pick up where it left off until a new drive is fitted. What software would be best for imaging the os drive and vm drive. Also what would be best for incremental backups?

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2019
I know I can buy a couple of pci-e sata expansion slots however is there a better way to connect 12 drives to one pc? Or is there a way to seperate it to another box but still use the cards as if they were in the pc? thanks

Jun 23, 2019
Win 10 machine running file server,cctv and hyper v.
c drive mirrored ssd drives 256gb x2
d drive mirrored hyper v for vm's (1 currently maybe 3 in total) and vm storage 480gb x 2
e drive mirrored ssds for storage of files 1tb x 2
f cctv 3tb mechanical x1
g drive mechanical for incremental backups of all the other drives bar the cctv x 1

kanewolf

Titan
I was thinking using the mirrored drive if we have one go bad the other would continue, is that not the case in a real world environment?
It can be, but what is the probability and what is the consequence of an outage? RAID only helps with a failed drive. As I said, a sudden failure of an SSD is very low probability. Doe your "server" have dual hot-swap power supplies? A double conversion UPS? ECC RAM? Those are also required for availability. If you don't have those things, then RAID1 is spending money in the wrong areas.

USAFRet

Titan
I was thinking using the mirrored drive if we have one go bad the other would continue, is that not the case in a real world environment?

What is your tolerance for downtime? A C drive for something could be recovered in maybe 30 minutes.
And any mirror scheme would need actual backups anyway.

Physical drive fails are pretty rare. Of 30 or 40 drives I've had in constant use over the last decade, 2 fails. 1 HDD (5 weeks old) and 1 SSD (3 years old).
In both cases, a good backup routine allowed speedy recovery. No mirroring needed.

kanewolf

Titan
There are LOTS of variables to "availability". If you would provide what the use of this server is and what the criticality is, we might have some suggestions. It might be to have a second server, or it might be to have a cold spare 1TB SSD that you can load your system onto. There is an entire spectrum of choices.

Jun 23, 2019
I won't be onsite all the time so whatever is in place for recovery needs to be easy or a good tempo fix until i'm there. The server will host our voip phone system along with files which need constant access to between 8am and 7pm.

kanewolf

Titan
I won't be onsite all the time so whatever is in place for recovery needs to be easy or a good tempo fix until i'm there. The server will host our voip phone system along with files which need constant access to between 8am and 7pm.
That requirement, would be best satisfied by an out-of-band management capability like the iLO on an HP server or the iDRAC on a Dell. The generic term for this is IPMI interface.