[SOLVED] How better will be Ryzen 3700x over my i7 7700k?

phoenix061992

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I game often during my leisure and occasionally (once or twice a week) I edit 4k videos for my girlfriend's YouTube channel. Should I upgrade? If yes how much performance boost will I gain over my old CPU in both gaming as well as editing or rendering? How much future-proof will be the 3700x for gaming if I purchase now?
PS: I am not very much into overclocking but I came across a feature in AMD called "Precision Boost Overclocking", will enabling that give me even better performance with the new 3700x?

Last edited:
Solution
Editing 4K footage is quite CPU demanding as far as I know, so it would be quite a difference in that area. Like already mentioned, gaming performance will depend on the type of game, some new AAA titles like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. will see quite a difference in performance(not average FPS but overall variability of FPS will reduce, so it will be more consistent). I would say it's a upgrade worth the money, but of course for gaming performance only a GPU upgrade would be better, unless you are already being held back by your current CPU(which could be the case for 1080p or lower resolution, for 1440p or 4K the GPU would be the limitation right now). What monitor do you have?

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
The main question here (rendering and editing) is the software you use. Is it capable of using 16 threads? If it is, then yes, the performance difference will be around double (not taking GPU acceleration into account, if using it, the difference will be far less) .
On the gaming side, the difference will be minimal, you'll most likely not even notice it.
Yes, the Precision Boost thing will yield better performance as it will overclock the CPU within thermal limits but manual overclocking still yields better results.

phoenix061992

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
The main question here (rendering and editing) is the software you use. Is it capable of using 16 threads? If it is, then yes, the performance difference will be around double (not taking GPU acceleration into account, if using it, the difference will be far less) .
On the gaming side, the difference will be minimal, you'll most likely not even notice it.
Yes, the Precision Boost thing will yield better performance as it will overclock the CPU within thermal limits but manual overclocking still yields better results.
I use adobe premiere pro for editing. I am using a GTX 1070 but thinking of shifting to RTX 2070 super sometime soon. So I guess upgrading only the GPU will be a wiser decision now? Another thing, if I keep all the files which I am editing on a SSD drive will it yield better performance?

Editing 4K footage is quite CPU demanding as far as I know, so it would be quite a difference in that area. Like already mentioned, gaming performance will depend on the type of game, some new AAA titles like Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, etc. will see quite a difference in performance(not average FPS but overall variability of FPS will reduce, so it will be more consistent). I would say it's a upgrade worth the money, but of course for gaming performance only a GPU upgrade would be better, unless you are already being held back by your current CPU(which could be the case for 1080p or lower resolution, for 1440p or 4K the GPU would be the limitation right now). What monitor do you have?

Solution
Jun 11, 2020
Hii, guys. I need an urgent help to fix my laptop. Its a dell inspiron 3542 i3. On right click everytime Command prompt window here this comes up and the whole laptop doesnt response. I have an interview tomorrow . Help me to fix this . It just get me annoyed. I have watched many youtube videos but not worked.

Hii, guys. I need an urgent help to fix my laptop. Its a dell inspiron 3542 i3. On right click everytime Command prompt window here this comes up and the whole laptop doesnt response. I have an interview tomorrow . Help me to fix this . It just get me annoyed. I have watched many youtube videos but not worked.
Please start your own thread rather than try to hijack someone else's. There's an 'Ask the Community' link at the right side of this page, Select your topic(Laptop tech support for your issue), give it a title and explain your issue, then click Post thread. It's that simple.

phoenix061992

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
I have a Philips Gioco 278G4 3D LED IPS Monitor and it runs on 1080p. Should I upgrade the GPU for now and wait for a year for some new CPU to be launched? How much more life does my 7700 have?

phoenix061992

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
That depends on game and resolution. Up to 1080p, CPU has more usage and matters more than GPU. For older, single core/thread games. performance would be about same. For newer and "heavy" games , 3700x would have better performance.
Should I upgrade the GPU for now and wait for a year for some new CPU to be launched? How much more life does my 7700 have?

Should I upgrade the GPU for now and wait for a year for some new CPU to be launched? How much more life does my 7700 have?
GPU is good enough for now considering your use of it. 7700k is already EOL so it will live as long as you don't need anything better or it burns out.
Don't forget that you would also need a new MB and probably RAM too because Ryzen likes fast RAM and your present RAM is limited to 2400MHz.

Reactions: phoenix061992

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I use adobe premiere pro for editing. I am using a GTX 1070 but thinking of shifting to RTX 2070 super sometime soon. So I guess upgrading only the GPU will be a wiser decision now? Another thing, if I keep all the files which I am editing on a SSD drive will it yield better performance?

Maybe this will help: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...o-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-698/#Introduction

I don't know, it all depends on the GPU usage. If usage is less than 100%, then no, keep it.
For max disk performance in this kind of loads, using 2 SSDs (one source, one destination) is best, however SSDs don't like constant writes, their longevity suffers.